Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I had somehow managed to get her back onto her stomach without waking her. I then stitched up and bandaged her back. Examining her back showed more scar tissue than I had previously thought.

"I need to look at the rest of her... Brandon, human hands would help right now but if you could get near her head and prop it up, that would be nice." I whispered.

As my twin moved to curl around her, I lifted and turned her around. Her body was small and light. She's so breakable. Once I had her back on the bed, Brandon shifted so her upper body was leaning against him.

"Good gods..." I gasped out. Her shirt had ridden up and I could see her stomach. Red and blue splotches mixed with yellow and green. Vibrant purple crept up from her pants line. White lines ran all over her. Not one spot held the beautiful mocha coloring of her skin, although the dusky undertones showed through. Raised scars were present everywhere, leaving barely any smooth skin. Words from multiple languages were inscribed on her right side, traveling from under her breast and marched past her pants waistline. Many were faded and distorted by other scars, but several were vivid black. Patterns had been burned on top of one another near her navel. There were old and new burns too. One was so new it was still oozing blood and clear liquid. There were scratches all over her stomach and sides. I still couldn't see her chest or neck.

After not seeing me move for so long, Brandon began to growl. He could see her lower stomach from the left, but couldn't see her right side, nor the words tattooed on.

"Twin, I believe you have guessed just as I have what type of slave she was, but we mustn't push her. She didn't get these bruises from just beatings. I will begin on the burns first and then the rest. I fear we were too busy worrying about her being clothed when we first got in the car. We should have looked at the rest of her too. I don't see blood on the pant legs, but we're going to need to check... Dammit!" I felt the vibrations growing in my chest. Women only get this type of bruising after the cruelest of violations. My blood was beginning to rush past my ears and my hands had formed fists. Leaning forward on my knuckles, I felt the bed vibrating. Brandon's growling had increased from the low, almost inaudible murmur. I felt the same as him. Our mate was taken and taken and taken so many times her body held months' worth of bruises. Some so vivid, they could have only been received from yesterday. Heat rushed through my body as I fought for control and reason.

"I must... ha... Bandage her..." I needed to think through the urge to shift and cover her body with my fur. I needed to save her. In only the way a mate can. Licking her-

A stabbing pain came from my left arm, knocking me out of my train of thought. Brandon was leaning back, lick my blood off his muzzle.

"Good job twin. I was dangerously close. I need to bandage her. Yes, bandages, but first cleaning that burn." Fuzz from the shirt had gotten stick to the oozing injury. As I cleaned the wound I also kept an eye out for any more open wounds. There were a couple scratches that needed cleaning but nothing needed stiches. While blowing on the burn to dry it as much as possible, I thought about the words. The only need for them would be branding, but slave brands usually go on the inside of the thighs. I grabbed the burn cream and tossed the thoughts around in my head. Looking for the bandages for the rest of her body, I saw Brandon had settled down and was licking her hand. At least he had found a way to manage the beast spirit's rage.

Making sure not to cover the burn, I wrapped the rest her stomach and double wrapped the lower part of her back at the same time.

Leaning away, I saw that everything was where it should be. "Now for the hardest part." Making eye contact with Brandon, I continued. "We need to check her lower half, but you and I both know that she needs to be awake for this."

With Brandon's nod I began to think about how to go about this.

[Dear readers,

Please recognize, that although I do have a life, I contemplate this story often and how I want to present it. Some of my chapters are short for a reason. I'm sorry that this may make you feel unhappy after a long wait, but I am trying to make an engaging and interesting story. If you want to more updates more often, comment more often. I feel the pressure and I write more often. This isn't a cry for more votes (although they are greatly appreciated). Please, continue to read and tell me how yo0u feel. I always am curious what you all are thinking.

-Thank you]