Chapter 37

A/N: HAPPY BIRTHDAY WE ARE THE ANSWER!

We've been in Rhys' head for a whole year!

It's time for some extra content and a giveaway. More on that in the A/N at the bottom.

Enjoy the chapter ^_^

*****

Our silent ride ended at sunset when we reached my house. We had passed it by during our walk around the neighbourhood last weekend but it would be Riley's first time going inside.

And perhaps his last, my mind spoke and my heart constricted in pain.

"I hope you don't mind me bringing you here." I said, shutting the engine off. "I needed some place private and your apartment... Well, I never thought apartments were private; it always seems like the neighbours might overhear something."

His eyebrows furrowed and he shook his head. Whatever thoughts were going through it, he did not share them with me and I didn't ask him to; I was determined to get this talk over with as soon as possible.

"Let's do this." I got up and closed the car door with more force than necessary. Taking a slow breath, I walked to Riley's side and opened his door. He tried to stand, but was pulled down by his seatbelt.

He's nervous just like me, I thought as I leaned down, and pushed his fumbling hands aside to free him from his restraint.

"Thanks," he muttered, getting out of the vehicle.

We walked through my yard, Riley briefly taking in the house's appearance. It looked very much like my parents'; then again, most houses in our neighbourhood did.

I let him walk into the hallway first.

"Would you like a tour or...?" I offered. I needed to get this over with before the pressure became too much and I changed my mind, but I also needed to have Riley as relaxed as possible. If that meant postponing the talk so he can look around the house, so be it.

"No, let's... Let's talk."

I nodded, grateful with his decision, and led him into the living room. It was almost empty with one square table and two wooden chairs at the wall furthest from the door.

"We should probably sit," I suggested. "This will take a while."

Once we were on the chairs, I took a deep breath and started speaking, the words racing with one another in my haste to say what I had to.

"Once upon a time..." I'd barely started when I was cut off:

"I thought you brought me here to talk about the Bullets." Riley crossed his arms over his chest.