Aftershock (Avengers-no reader)

The effects of Civil War on the team.  I'm trying something different, sorry if it sucks.  

STEVE: I'm always honest

Steve was never one for hiding. He had sent Tony a half-hearted apology letter, hoping that it would hold him and Secretary Ross off long enough to break out his team and get them to safety, but there were no guarantees after everything that had happened. After his lie had broken his friend; a friend that he may never have back, he knew that he wouldn't deserve that friendship if it were returned. He had spent hours at a time staring at that cheap phone in his hand, waiting for a ring that would never sound. Waiting for a voice that he may never hear again; a voice that changed to one that he might not even recognize anymore, and it was by his own doing. He had been a man of service for so long that the future was more uncertain than ever as he ran from a life that he no longer wanted. Steve Rogers was a man on the run from not only a government that had betrayed him, but also from himself, a man that he no longer knew.

TONY: I'm just a man in a can

Iron Man was a moniker, and nothing more. Tony had hidden behind the name and the suit for so long, that he had forgotten just how human he was, and just how broken he could be. But for as broken as he was, he never would have thought that Steve Rogers would be the one to break the final straw. Tony was an independent man for all of his adult life, making his own way and finding his own successes. When the team was formed and he allowed himself to care about this manufactured family, he let his guard down and built trusts; trusts that were now shattered and splintered and spread across the world to who-knows-where. A part of him wanted to call Steve and talk it out, make things right between them, and get the team back together, but he still had his damn pride. Pride that would keep him at a safe distance and the pain all to himself. Tony Stark was again an independent man by necessity, with no more trust to give.

CLINT: If you step out that door, you are an Avenger

Disappointing my kids. It was said as a joke at first, but Clint never would have thought how painful and filled with truth that the one simple sentence would become. Clint was a great father, despite the long periods away and missed birthdays, forgotten anniversaries and overlooked firsts. In his actions and commitment, he was a great father to anyone who needed him. He was never one to turn down anyone, and this time was no different, and it was for a friend, or friends, as it were; even more than that, they were his family too. But now, the pain he felt as he was trapped in his cell on the Raft paled in comparison to being free and unable to see his kids; he had them at his fingertips but they were just out of reach. Clint Barton was a free man, trapped within his self-imposed prison.

NATASHA: I only act like I know everything

Natasha had been on the same side for as long as she could remember; her own. Perhaps it was a factor in why she had such a love/hate relationship with Tony, in that they were much the same animal in that regard. Perhaps that was a factor in why she took his side in the Accords in the beginning, because she understood his thinking. It certainly wasn't because they were best friends, or because they respected each other any more than anyone else, no. Maybe it was because to maintain some independence, they realized that they had to give some away in return. But now, after seeing the other side for the first time, Natasha was conflicted; she didn't know who was right or wrong anymore. All she knew was that her trust had to be placed in only one person, the only person that she ever trusted. Herself. Natasha Romanoff would have to become just one more broken alias of a shadow hidden in the darkness.

SAM: The people that shoot at you, usually wind up shooting at me

No matter how many bullets flew in his direction, no matter how many hits he would take, he would never take any side other than Steve's. Sam was as loyal as any friend could be, rivalling even Bucky with his commitment. When the Accords were dropped on the table, he looked to the Captain for guidance and never faltered. Even when Stark was pressing him for information, Sam stood firm and refused to bend, no matter what Tony could threaten him with. Even now, with the team fractured and half of them running into hiding, Sam knew that he would make the exact same choices if it were to be done all over again. Sure, there were moments when he longed for his freedom and a carefree life, but at the end of the day, Sam Wilson was a man of his unwavering word.