Party Hard

Ethan had another depressive episode. Call it sixth sense, but I knew him too well. Every time he did, I felt helpless myself. Dakota and I had asked him so many times to see a psychiatrist, but he was convinced that he could beat it on his own. Ethan would shut down, fill himself up with alcohol, until there was no more room left for pain. And who the fuck would like to see his best friend destroy himself?

Ruth was in Dakota's dorm, to try on some clothes. And I had originally planned to do something with a few buddies, but I couldn't leave Ethan like this.

He rolled his eyes at me, when I told him that I wasn't going out that night. "Stop playing babysitter," he told me. "I'll be fine!"

He knew that I knew that he was feeling blue.

"Wanna play some GTA?" I asked him, ignoring his statement.

He shook his head, before turning to the next page of his book.

I sighed in defeat, and layed back on my bed, deciding that I could might as well watch some basketball.

I watched the game for a few good minutes, when Ethan spoke up, "Did you know that Michael Jordan was --"

The door swung open and Dakota stepped in, followed by Ruth.

"How does she look, boys?" Dakota asked with a smirk and stepped aside to show off Ruth.

She was wearing dark skinny-jeans and a white top. They had kept it very simple with her, and yet she was so beautiful. Not pretty, but downright beautiful.

"Lookin' good," Ethan nodded, giving her a thumbs up. Ruth responded with a smile. "Thank you!"

"Cory?" Dakota's smirk was fucking evil. She could see me choking on my salvia.

"Yeah, I er, agree with... Ethan."

Dakota started laughing, which caused Ruth to grin a bit. "Did I just hear your voice crack?" Dakota asked me innocently.

I pretended that I had turned my attention back to the tv.

Dakota looked proudly at Ruth, before throwing an arm over the other girl's shoulder. "I think we did pretty well," she giggled.

"So what are you girls up to?" I wondered nonchalantly.

"Well, we're going to this party," Dakota shrugged, removing her arm from Ruth.

"I must admit that I am quite nervous," Ruth said, her glances falling to the floor.

Dakota looked at Ruth. Then she nodded. "Yeah, so I thought we could all go together."

Ethan did not even look up from his book. "You guys go," he told us. "I kinda wanna be left alone right now."

Dakota's look softened. Now she knew that something was up. "Ethan," she pleaded.

"I'm not going either," I told them.

I had wanted to go so badly, but I couldn't do this to Ethan.

Dakota's gaze shifted between us. "I'll stay here with him. You two should enjoy yourselves a bit," she offered us a smile. Anyone could see that it was fake.