Chapter 15

"Finna stop! Get back!" Keil yelled again.

The dragon turned from sniffing Sylvia's unconscious body to gazing back at him curiously. He ran up and pushed the beast's cold nose away from her face.

"Leave her alone!" He commanded the beast.

Finna backed away with a disappointed whimper, and Keil quickly bent down to examine Sylvia. Her body was shaking from the previous stress, although he sighed with relief at seeing her head had not been hurt from the fall. Finna was harmless, but still far too eager when it came to meeting new people...

Sylvia suddenly let out a groan, as if she were in pain. Keil quickly looked her over for injury, confused by her reaction. That was when he found a large streak of blood leaking across her back.

"FINNA!" He gasped with rage.

He quickly tore away the back of Sylvia's clothing to get a better look at the scratches, cursing the dragon's carelessness! Although, now that looked closely, the mark was not from Finna's claws, or any other animal for that matter. Carefully, Keil ripped away a little more of her dress, counting all the marks she had on her back. He saw about fifteen, with some being nothing more than old scars now. He turned her body over in his arms, examining her face and clothing more closely. She appeared dirty and frail, more so than usual. She even looked weak from fatigue.

Was she...being abused?

Keil clenched his fists in anger. What exactly had befallen her? A beating of some sort maybe? He went back to gazing at Sylvia's delicate face in the moonlight, pondering over what he already knew of her, which was very little. All he could be sure of was that she had been kind enough to save his life, coming to clean his wounds and bring him food nearly every day. Yet here she was, badly battered and injured, in need of protection herself! But how could he spare her further sufferings when he had no idea what she was dealing with? How could even ask without knowing what she was saying?

Keil let out a long sigh. There had to be some way for him to help her! There just had to be. He simply could not leave her like this, could not abandon her to this abuse. It was unthinkable!

Suddenly, Sylvia let out another groan and shifted in his arms restlessly. He gazed down at her with worry, watching with fascination as her face crumpled in distress, and a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"Keil..." She whispered quietly.

Keil felt his breath caught in his chest. Sylvia, she was in pain. She was in pain and had called out his name. Why though? What was he to her? Or more importantly he supposed, what was she to him? Without really stopping to think Keil leaned down and gently kissed Sylvia's warm lips, holding her carefully in his arms, hoping to comfort her in some way despite her unconscious state. He simply couldn't bear to watch her like this any longer...

"I love you Sylvia," He admitted softly, to her and himself.

Yes, love. How could he not after all she had done or him over the last few weeks? She had taken it upon herself to be his nursemaid, caring for a complete stranger for weeks. That was why it felt so very heart-wrenching to see her in such a pitiful state as this! To see her hurting because of someone else's cruelty.

Keil leaned down and stroked her pink cheeks, fully resigned to his newfound feelings. He remembered his father's encouragement to find a wife to love, and his brother's advice to pick out a woman of his liking, no matter her rank or wealth. Sylvia was indeed a land dweller, yet she was so much more! She was just so beautiful and kind, so sweet natured and gentle. So lovely and dear, so loveable and amiable, and good in every way. A woman who would make a good companion, a good wife, a good princess.

Yes, this would be the right thing to do. After all, it was a custom of their people to be strong like the dragons. To protect those whom you loved at all costs. To fight for your land and your people no matter what. And, if need be, to take a spouse for oneself. Not by violence or brute force, but unwillingly if necessary. However, that was not Keil's way. No, he was not hurting Sylvia with this, he was saving her. From these scars, from her abusers, from this life.

Keil smiled and began to whisper softly into Sylvia's ear, hoping she might hear him in her dreams and take comfort in his voice.

"I could take you away from here Sylvia. I could give you a better life than this. I could...I could make you happy..."

Her face did not waver, though his heart was already well resolved on what action to take. So, he stood up and cradled his new bride in his arms, a strange and overwhelming sense of purpose and desire coursing through him.

"You are mine now, Sylvia. And I will love you like no other," Keil promised. "You will be safe with me."