Chapter 3 - Sailor Moon

My throat feels raw, and my eyes are tired. Taylor and I have seen and spoken with many people. Half of the inventory I brought is gone, and we have taken notes of the people interested in particular toys.

I look at Taylor as he talks with a bunch of girls. He doesn't realize how they look at him. He is very attractive and has a million watt smile. His skin has a faded tan color, and he has these impossible blue-green eyes. I love it how during winter he wears a gray beanie to keep his unruly blond hair under control.

When he is not helping me at the barn, he works at a computer store making repairs. I know that he doesn't have it easy. He lives independently but at times he feels frustrated at the barriers that he encounters every day. Recently, we went to a trendy restaurant to have lunch only to find out that they only had booths. The hallway was too narrow for him to stay in his chair. I wanted to leave, but he didn't so he had to hop on the booth bench while they moved his wheelchair out of the way. I glared at the people that were looking at him with pity.

It is too bad that I have been busy and haven't had a chance to check the rest of the convention. Hell, I had to make a run to the bathroom and then chug a bottle of juice in order not to faint. I'm glad that I listened to Taylor and brought some disgusting protein bars to eat. I'm looking forward to having a proper dinner tonight. A steak and a potato... with tons of butter...

My lusty food thoughts are interrupted when a bunch of guys approach our table and start browsing. One of them stares at me, and I hold his gaze. I'm not intimidated by that. Elijah and I used to have staring competitions all the time.

"Do you also trace anime figures?" one of the guys asks.

"I do. It isn't my specialty, but I know many collectors. What are you looking for?"

"The Sailor Moon dolls. The five toys were released in the 90s," he says. The guys that are accompanying him snigger.

"They for sure will match your bedspread," his friend says

"Ha-ha. Funny. How much do you think those babies will cost me?"

I cringe at the idea that this guy has a Sailor Moon themed bedroom, but decide to keep going anyway. I'm doing well, but of course, I can use new clients.

"I know which ones you are talking about. They are about eleven inches with fabric clothes. I have seen those go for about 200 dollars, and they weren't in mint condition. If you want mint, prepare to pay double. That is excluding my fee of course,"

The guy gulps and his friends lose it. All but the man that was staring at me are howling with laughter.

"Do you think that your mom can raise your allowance?" his friend says.

"Fuck off!" he says, pushing the guy.

The guys start pushing each other and getting aggressive. I look at Taylor, who is staring at the fight with wide eyes. I look around, and people have gathered to watch the fight. If this gets out of control, we will have a problem. Try pushing a guy in a chair through a panicked crowd.

The crowd parts and I see a furious Evan come through with some dangerous looking security guys. They separate the men and escort them away.

"Are you okay? Were they giving you trouble?" Evan says to me.

"I'm okay. It started with them bickering and it escalated too quickly," I say.

"What were they arguing about?"

"Sailor Moon dolls,"

Evan looks at me with shock. His lips slowly form into a smile.

"You got to be fucking kidding me," he says.

"I wish I was,"

"Madness! Take care Nina. You have a dangerous business," he says as he walks away while shaking his head in disbelief.

"Did you make up that? What you just say to Evan?" Taylor asks while trying to keep a serious face.

"No, I didn't," I say and can't contain the laughter.

Taylor and I can't stop laughing. People are looking at us as if we are crazy. The situation is terribly ridiculous. We manage to eventually calm down and try not to look at each other during the rest of the convention for fear of another attack of the giggles.

After helping a guy to locate a Stormtrooper in the remaining boxes and getting an order for several action figures, I find the man that stared at me standing in front of me.

"Hello, looking for something in particular?" I say, trying to sound helpful.

"Can you trace anything?"

"Yeah, pretty much, as long as it is a toy,"

"Good. Can I have your card?"

"Sure," I say, getting one from under the table and handing it to him. "Emailing is always the best as sometimes I'm visiting distributors. What interests you?"

"Just you. I will give you a call soon," he says, giving me a wink.

I stay frozen to my spot and don't realize that Evan is standing in front of me.

"Earth to Nina," he says, snapping his fingers in front of me.

"Oh, hey,"

"I came to check if you need help breaking down," he says, and Taylor joins us. "I know that you are parked next to the door, but after a day like today, I don't know if you would like to make the rides to bring the stuff to Nina's van," Evan says to him.

"Usually I would complain, but this time I'm grateful for the help. I'm exhausted. All I want is to eat and sleep," Taylor says.

"You and I," Evan responds. "Unfortunately I can't leave until this place is empty. I'm happy that you guys signed up for this. Those blue bags of yours are unmissable. I saw them everywhere, so I guess that you did well. Hopefully, I will see you guys next year," he says, shaking our hands.

"You will see us next year for sure," I say.

The help arrives soon, and we have a lighter load than when we arrived, so we finish reasonably quick. Taylor and I arrive at our hotel room, and I crash on the bed. Taylor does the same.

"What about room service?" I ask.

"Sounds heavenly. Do I have to shower?" Taylor asks.

"No, do I have to?"

"No,"

"We are pigs," I say as I lazily pick up the phone to dial room service.