A sadness runs through him

(Backstory: You are a state alchemist and you have a close affliction to the Elric brothers. Trusted by the both of them, you embark on their journey, following them whenever you wish to or to their asking; if you are not bothered by the Military.)

It was quite sad, witnessing the Tringham brothers give up the work and dedication to their fathers research. Upon first meeting the two 'imposters', both made it clear that they'd spend their lives following in Nash's footsteps... But it was not right. What they were doing was wrong and I was glad that the two finally realised this. Of course, with a few punches and bruises along the way. Edward wasn't pleased with that of course, the lump on his lobe lasted for days. And after all the persuasion, it was time to embark to the kennels, where they kept dogs like us. But before I followed the brother's, I had to see something first. The elder brother, Russell; he didn't seem very... Happy. 'Course, this was to be expected but... I couldn't help feeling guilt for the lad.

He rested himself upon one of the hills bordering the village, moving himself into a relaxed position and looking forwards as if he did not acknowledge the civilization bellow. I understand that people seclude themselves into their own worlds of contemplation when they feel such depressing emotion, but he seemed different. He wasn't still, but his head constantly moved up and down in little changes. Was he crying?

Out of curiosity, I walked towards the figure, standing only a few feet behind him. A few sounds were heard from the Alchemist's mouth and it didn't take a genius to work out that he was weeping.

"Russell?" I called out the Alchemist's name who twitched in acknowledgement, becoming still and tensing his muscles. He didn't answer me - in fact he totally ignored me apart from the small movement he made. Russell didn't want to talk, obviously though this did not stop me from demanding an answer from the lad. Pfft, it seemed that Edward's arrogance and stubborn behaviour rubbed off on me after these few years.

"Hey," I'd call out again, disturbing the silence in the rural scenery, "You don't have to ignore me -" But I was cut short by the Alchemist's reply.

"I thought I'd be alone up here." He'd say, moving from his position, swivelling himself around and facing me. His cheeks that were once a pale pigment were now flustered red due to his crying. The whites of his eyes were slightly stained with the same pigment also.

"Nobody ever comes up here anyways." He commented again, lifting his hand from the grass and wiping his eye, removing the liquid flowing down his cheeks.

"What brings you here? Why don't you go and run along with the 'real' Elric's, aye?" He'd say, strengthening his tone, after clearing his throat. I'd simply sigh, walking towards him and kneeling beside him. Even after that remark he did not move away from my presence.

"I went to find you actually," I'd reply, my voice sounding more like a 'chirp' rather than something to sooth his emotion, "To ask you about the 'red water - philosophers stone'."

Yes, this was a dick move. It was why he was crying anyway, but this had to be answered - If I wanted to help the Elric's, I needed more information on this mysterious item.

Russell scoffed at this question, turning his vision towards the left and away from my expression.

"Didn't you already seep the information you wanted from it?" He'd ask, resting his chin upon his knees.

"Not all," I'd reply. "Is there any more information you know about? A location? Somewhere that leads us to a complete form?" I hardly noticed my voice becoming impatient - too many leads had lead us to dead ends... I didn't want this to be the case with the Tringham's too.

And again the boy would sigh.

"I've already told the Elric's on a location." He'd breathe, rising his head and letting his fingers run through his golden hair. It hung well from his head, tempting me to ask on the maintenance he puts into the locks. "So there's no reason for you to be here."

This time, I'd sigh. I hated how stuck-up people were sometimes, but I could never be satisfied if I left someone crying or sad. It would just lead to more despair and misery, something this dog was trying to avoid.

"Tell me what would cheer you up?" I'd ask - blurting out my obvious concern. Quickly, Russell's head turned to my direction, holding a confused complexion. This was probably an unexpected question, after all I had taken his intentions away. His path was left empty with no goals or 'dreams' to follow anymore.

The lad thought for a second, putting a finger upon his lips before he'd speak.

"I don't think Fletcher and I have a place to return to anymore," He'd say, vocals taking a downward spiral, "Our 'house' did get destroyed."

Ah yes, it did. Thankfully, the two boys had saved the surrounding area, only ridding of a small woodlands beyond the mansion.

"Is there any way that you could provide us with some accommodation?" Russell would ask, breaking my sudden thoughts. I jolted, turning my vision to the sky, thinking... Hm. What could I do? Ah!

My consciousness turned to the note book a carried in my jacket, there was usually a pen accompanying it too.

"One sec-" I'd say, removing the note book from my pocket, pulling it out and sprawling it across the grass. As I thought, the pen was present too.

"I (Name/Surname) give this check to..." I'd mutter as my pen would scribble across the page in a fast motion. "Take from State Alchemist account..." And so on. I was writing a check for the boy, giving him enough to pay for a house. The only reason why I was doing this was because I could afford it - I was a state alchemist after all; the pay we received was quite high.

After handing the boy the check, I witnessed his eyes widen as well as his mouth. Both hands held the written check as if it was a bar of gold. Well, it was worth a lot more than just one bar.

"Th-Thank you, (name)." He'd stutter, half lost for words as he turned towards me, facial features twitching in disbelief. "Ho- How can y-you hold such weal-th?" He'd ask, his mouth spreading into a grin.

"I'm a State Alchemist, we can afford such crap." I'd say with a chirp, rising to my feet and looking down upon the blond-haired boy. Gray iris' would look up into mine with such delight, it was quite hard to look away. His face had completely changed - from sad to happy just from a simple written agreement.

"I..I don't know what to say - Come back any time! I'd be happy to teach some of the Agricultural Alchemy we use. Perhaps that could help you? I mean - Equivalent exchange!" He'd almost shout, clutching the paper close to his chest as he'd speak. Such words made me smile back towards him, but I had to go. I could almost sense Edward's demands on finding me.

"I'll keep that in mind." I replied, turning around and walking back to the village. 'Course, Edward was there to shout at me, Alphonse trying to calm him down.

"What took you so long?" He'd ask finally, his voice becoming a lot more mellow than the first time I showed up.

"Well, I can't leave someone so unhappy." I'd sum up my actions before following the two boys towards the train station. Back to the kennels it was for us, but I had a feeling that we'd be seeing the Tringham's again. Hopefully, they wouldn't be in so much trouble and hopefully they'd settled down, using their Alchemy to help their village.