Nine

(Cedric's P.O.V.)

The first task was the next day, and Cedric felt nauseous with nerves. He wanted to tell Iris how he felt, but talking to her was hard now. He was afraid that he would blurt out that he was in love with her or that he would kiss her on accident. How did you kiss someone on accident? Nevertheless, he was still nervous about it. He couldn't ruin their friendship like that.

His friends weren't much of a help. They all just patted him on the back and told him how happy they were that Hufflepuff was finally getting some recognition. He wanted, no needed Iris, he didn't care about the stupid waste of a time that was the Triwizard Tournament.

It was late, after curfew when he finally crumbled. He padded out to the common room barefoot and smiled when he saw Iris sitting there facing the fire. Her back was to him, and his smile faded as he realized that her shoulders were shaking. Iris was crying.

He quickly vaulted over the back of the couch and landed next to her. She took one teary eyed look at him and curled into him, still crying. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer into his chest. 

His heart hurt. Not only because Iris was hurt, but because it was so painful to hold her and know that she wasn't his. Cedric wanted her to be his; that was all he wanted.

After a few minutes she pulled away and wiped her eyes, rubbing her face with the oversize jumper he realized was his. Something warm burst in his chest and he smiled down at her. She was so beautiful in his jumper.

"S-sorry. I j-just. . .everything has been happening s-so fast." Iris face was tear streaked and her voice was unsteady with emotion.

"It's okay. Just let it all out, 'Ris."

Another tear trickled down her cheek and he gently wiped it away. "I-I'm so worried about you, Ced. I don't want to l-lose you. I d-don't know what I'd do without you."

"I'm not going anywhere. I promise, 'Ris."

She raised her ocean blue eyes to his and whispered, "Don't make promises you can't keep."

His own words mocked him, laughing as he swallowed hard and pulled her closer to his side.

"Why haven't y-you been t-talking to me C-Ced? I-I've missed you."

"Oh 'Ris. I'm so sorry. I've been such a fool lately. I seem to do that a lot." He smiled bitterly and she gave a short laugh that sounded slightly more like a sob. "Will you forgive me?" He whispered, leaning towards her. Maybe a little too close.

Her eyes widened and her eyes flickered down to his lips so quickly he must have imagined it. He did. Iris didn't think of him like that. 

"Of course I forgive you, Ced. But please, don't do this again. Just talk to me. I can handle anything, but I can't handle you not talking to me. It hurts me a lot when you don't."

"I'm so scared, 'Ris." He rested his forehead against hers and could have sworn that he felt her breath hitch. His own breathing didn't feel exactly normal. "I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, and I'm afraid that I won't get to talk to you again."

"N-no. Don't talk like that Ced; it scares me so much. You're supposed to be the optimistic one. What's happening to us?" She laughed bitterly.

"I don't know what to do tomorrow, but I promise that I'll try as hard as I can. For you."

"Don't leave me." Her murmur was so quiet he almost missed it.

"I won't. I promise, and I'm going to keep this promise. I'll always be in your heart, Iris."

She leaned into him, and his breath hitched slightly at her nearness. Cedric quickly wrapped his arms around her and they both closed their eyes. He could feel her warm breath blowing gently in his face. She was so close, and his heart was so happy.

"I love you, 'Ris." And I mean this with all of my heart. I love you more than you know.

"I love you too, Ced." 

He had to remind himself she didn't mean it like that. She only meant that she loved him as a friend, nothing more. Even if that fact made it feel as though his heart was being squeezed inside of his chest when he thought about it.