Ten

(Iris' P.O.V.)

Yesterday had been, in a word, terrifying. 

She woke up in Cedric's arms on the couch in the common room. His eyes were already open and he was staring at her. They were so close that their noses were almost touching. Their legs were tangled up and his arms were around her securely. She was wearing his jumper and one of his hands was on her waist. Sometime during the night the jumper had ridden up and his hand was touching her bare side, making her shiver.

There was something in his eyes that she had never seen before, and she couldn't put a finger on what it was.

He hadn't moved away, even when he saw that she was awake. Instead he stared into her eyes and then moved even closer, if that was possible. He rested their foreheads together and closed his eyes with a little sigh.

She took the quiet moment to study his features up close without him knowing. His cheekbones stuck out more than they used to, and the thought of him hungry made her heart ache. His eyes were closed, otherwise she would have been able to see their sparkling gray color that was unlike anything she could describe. His lips, oh his lips. All she wanted was for them to be hers. But that would never be. 

She quickly closed her eyes and breathed in his scent. She could never describe it as anything but Cedric. Perhaps it was books or ink, but it could also be wind and rain. She couldn't tell, but she knew that it was home for her.

She wished she could stay there forever, but all things must come to an end. He pulled away and muttered something about getting ready for the first task. She shuddered both at the sudden lack of his body heat and the thought of him fighting a dragon.

That was all hours ago though. Now she was celebrating in the Hufflepuff common room. Cedric had done really well. He was just across the room, surrounded by a group of girls. Her heart was sinking into her shoes when he gave her a pleading look. 

Over the noise in the common room, she shouted, "Oi, Ced! Get your ass over here."

He gave her a thankful look and pushed through the crowd towards her. Someone pushed a flask of Butterbeer, at least that's what she thought it was, into her hand and she took a long swig as he approached.

"You know that's alcohol, right?" He laughed at her disgusted face. It definitely wasn't Butterbeer.

"Yeah. I don't care. I'm going to get drunk tonight, as long as you'll keep me safe." She giggled. 

"Always, 'Ris." He put his hands on her waist and they moved to the beat of the music together.

The contents of the bottle lowered and so did her inhibitions. She threw her arms around his neck and mumbled in his ear, "How much have you had to drink, Ced? You don't normally touch me like this."

"I-I haven't had anything. If you don't like it I'll stop."

"I like it, Ced. I like it a lot."

The bottle was gone, and she was pretty drunk. "Damn, you're a lightweight, 'Ris."

"What's wrong with me, Ced?"

"Are you feeling okay, babe?"

"Why don't guys think I'm attractive? What's wrong with me?"

"You're beautiful, 'Ris. The guys stay away because they're scared of me."

"Why? What would you do? We're just friends." Shut your mouth, Iris. 

"I'd beat them to a pulp, 'Ris." His eyes turned dark for a second and his hands tightened on her hips.

"W-why?"

"Because I can't lose you."

"Then do something about it." Why the hell did she just say that?

He leaned in closer, and Iris couldn't breathe. "Sorry, 'Ris, but you're drunk. This isn't the way it's supposed to be. Definitely not how I planned it out in my head."

"I'm tired." She yawned, stumbling into him slightly. He swept her up bridal style and she giggled in his ear. 

"Why are you taking me up to the boy's dorms? I sleep in the girl's dorms."

"I can't go in the girl's dorms and I don't want you to be alone tonight. It's my job to keep you safe, 'Ris."

He helped her take her shoes and socks off, and gulped as she peeled off her shirt too. He kicked off his own shoes and socks and changed into a pair of pajama pants. Iris crawled underneath the covers and he pulled her tightly against his chest. She sighed in satisfaction and curled closer into him. He smiled down at her and wished desperately that she wasn't quite as drunk as she was now. 

~~~

Dearest Cedric,

I'm sorry to say I don't remember much of what happened last night. I think I said some really foolish things, and if I made you uncomfortable I'm desperately sorry. I've never been drunk before and I have feeling the other guys in your dorms thought a little more was going on than actually happened. 

When I woke up in your arms I was so happy, even though I was confused as hell and I had a blistering headache. I want to wake up in your arms every morning.

The Yule Ball has been announced and I've already decided I'm not going. Even if anyone wants to ask me I'll turn them down. All I want is to go with you, but you wouldn't ask me. I just couldn't stand watching you dance with another girl, and kiss another girl. It would be torture, so I'm going to spend the night in the dorms, or maybe I'll go for a late night walk down to the lake. I might cry over you just to be a little more pathetic.

Please, don't ask anyone else. Go alone. I know it's too much to wish for that you would ask me, so I won't even bother at all.

Love,

'Ris