Chapter Nine: On the Road Again

I grabbed Cass's hand and headed for the door. The day was still young and I was determined to get us started ASAP.
"Hey guys?" I called walking through the house.

"What?" there came the sound of them getting up off the couch and coming towards us, which was at the backdoor.

"Is all the stuff still in the back of the Impala?" I asked.

"Yeah," slowly Sam replied, "Why?"

"Because we ,and I mean all of us, need to teach Cassidy how to handle a gun and she needs to know how to react when it comes to a case." Bobby, Bentley , and Cas had now shown up and were listening in to the conversation. The guys all shared a glance with each other. I crossed my arms over my chest and shifted my weight to my left leg.

"Alright," said Dean, leading us out the backdoor to the front yard. He unlocked the trunk and took out his colt 1911 a1 .45 caliber semi-automatic, one of the rock salt guns (which was a double barrel shotgun), and a Winchester model 1897 pump shotgun (12 gauge with 6 rounds). Not to mention the asortment of other weapons we sometimes used on hunts. It good to know how to use most of these, even if you never have to.

Sam and I set up targets at different heights and angles for Cass to shoot at. I also had to practice because not hunting for a year and 4 months kinda makes you question your hunting ability, at least for me anyways.

"Okay Cass," I told her," Don't point the gun at anyone or thing you are not going to completey destroy, and don't point it at us or swing it around like a toy, ever." Cass nodded.

"Have you ever shot a gun before?" Sam inquired . Cass nodded her head.

"Yeah when I was like 7, before they locked me in the clinic." The bitterness of those words poisoned her expression, but was quickly replaced when she said, "But I remember loving it!"

So we began our training. Cassidy always came really close to the targets but barely missed. She scowled in frustration.

"I don't get it! I just can't seem to be able to focus on it! I can't see the thing I'm aiming for! I just see all the crap around it! This is pointless!" She ranted handing Sam the gun, who quickly set the safety.

"Cassidy? Try shutting one of your eyes. Maybe that will help you focus." Suggested Bentley

"But that isn't just that!" She exclaimed again agitation in her tone," It feels freaking weird to shoot with my right hand!!! Gaw!!! This is aggravating!!!" I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Cass," I said, "Take a breath and relax. This next time that you shoot use your left hand to pull the trigger and your right hand to steady it. Close whatever eye is causing you the most problems and then shoot." Cass took a few deep breathes and looked at me. "Are you better?" I asked. She nodded in response. "Good. Now lets try this again."

Sam handed Cass the pistol back and she removed the safety. She changed her hands and closed her eye, carefully aiming she hit the spray painted target with a bulls eye shot, then moved on to the others with out hesitation, each time hitting them either with a bulls eye or near it. The rest of us stood behind her, faces stuck with our jaws dropped. When she was out of rounds she turned back to us.

"Holy shit!" Bentely exclaimed, "That was awesome!"

"You're a natural shot!" I told her a huge smile on my face. Sam, Dean, and Bobby gave her a high five, showering her with praise. A smile covered her face and she glowed with pride.

"That was amazing!!" She said after setting down the gun. For the rest of the afternoon we were shooting and practicing. The guys refreshed my mind, and taught Cassidy hand-to-hand combat basics and showed her the different weapons and what they were used for. I knew it would be a while before Cass was 100% perfect with it all, but as of right now, Cassidy was doing fantastic and I couldn't be any more proud of her.