Eleven

(Cedric's P.O.V.)

She was so beautiful. With her laughing blue eyes and her smooth blonde hair. But recently that had changed. Her eyes were filled with tears more often than not and she had begun to get paler. He suspected that she wasn't sleeping well, as the bags under her eyes told stories of sleepless nights. She went to bed early each night, exhausted from the day, and she came down to breakfast each morning more exhausted. He was so worried about her.

The whole Triwizard Tournament was taking it's toll on the both of them. 

~~~

With the Yule Ball coming up, Cedric needed a date. The only problem was that he didn't want to take anyone but Iris. He had seen her turn down one of the boys on the Quidditch team and wondered if she was waiting for a certain boy to ask her. He hoped it was someone that he could live with. Otherwise he might smash his face in and that would ruin Iris' night.

Starting a fight at the Yule Ball would be a really bad idea, especially because he was a Champion. 

He tried to imagine going with another girl and even considered asking Cho Chang as friends, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it.

So instead he waited, and Cho Chang was asked out by another boy. Soon all of the girls he could tolerate were asked out and there was no one left to ask.

That was when Professor Sprout came and told him that he had to have a date because they were supposed to lead the first dance.

When he told her he had no one to take, she said, "Just ask that girl with the pretty flower name you're always staring at in Herbology." He felt himself flushing a deep red and hoped that no one else had noticed.

~~~

He found her in the library later, studying. Cedric was about to go up to her when another boy in seventh year that all the girls thought was quite attractive came up to her. Cedric ducked behind a bookshelf and eavesdropped on their conversation.

"Hey, Iris. I noticed you hadn't had a date to the ball yet and I was wondering if you would go with me."

"Thanks for the offer." His heart dropped into his boots. "But I don't want to go. I wish you luck with finding someone else to take."

"This is about Cedric, isn't it? Has he asked you?" 

"N-no. I know that he won't ask me. I'm either going alone or not at all."

"So you're just turning down every guy? We could just go as friends, I didn't really want to go as a date anyways. Cedric would probably smash my face in, and that would definitely ruin the night."

"Yes, Collin. I'm going to turn down everyone who asks me. Sorry. I heard that Hannah Abbott hasn't got a date. I bet she would love to go with you."

"Oh, okay. Thanks, Iris! You're pretty cool, we should hang out sometime. Just as friends though, I'd rather make it through my last year alive."

Cedric waited a few minutes before grabbing a book on water plants and heading over to sit with Iris.

"Oh, hey Cedric. Have you figured out the clue yet?" She smiled brightly at him, but the dark circles under her eyes told the truth.

"I think I might have. I just need to figure out how to survive this one. At least I'm not facing another dragon."

"That's good." She went back to reading her book on Ancient Ruins.

"Do you have a date to the ball yet?" He asked casually, hoping he didn't sound weird.

"Um, no. I don't think I'll go."

"Oh. W-well, I was wondering if you would go with me. I'm not really interested in going with any of the other girls, so we can go as f-friends."

Her head wiped up from the book and he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, trying not to turn red or start blabbering.

"I. . .are you serious?"

"Uh, yeah. I want to go to the ball with you, Iris."

"I. . .oh, yes! Of course I'll go with you, Ced."

"Oh, cool. Uh, what are you wearing?"

"I, uh, wasn't planning on going so I don't have a dress, but I can get one in Hogsmeade this weekend. I'll let you know."

"Okay. Uh, I guess I better go figure out how not to die now." He sent her a weak grin.

She smiled back, and it lit up the whole room, but he knew her well, and he saw that shadow of sadness in her eyes. 

"Hey, 'Ris. You know I didn't mean it like that. Give me a hug." He pulled her into his arms and bent his head down to breath her scent in. Her head was laid against his chest and he hoped she couldn't hear how fast his heart was beating.

She pulled away and he coughed awkwardly and said, "I should really get going."

She bit her lip and then smiled widely as though she couldn't help it. "I'll see you later, Ced." 

The way she said his name made his heart pound like crazy.