Chapter 16

Chapter 16

 (Royce's Ring----->)

 I knew he was nervous, I could tell by the way he was fidgeting in his chair and pulling on his tie as he sat next to Mr. Siegel.  We all were waiting for the Judge to enter the courtroom. Isaac had made such strides in his recovery and it was like the weight of the world has been lifted off his shoulders since he had fully regained his memory. It has been so hard for him and I have been helping him come to terms with everything, especially with the feelings of guilt over his Mother’s death.

 I had to explain to him time and time again that it wasn’t his fault. That responsibility lied squarely in the shoulders of his Stepfather, that his Stepfather was the sick twisted one and that he as a child had no way of knowing that or recognizing it until it was too late. Although he hated to hear it, I had to point out the fact to him and he was a victim. An innocent victim if a Sadistic pedophile and I made sure to tell him, to praise him for the fact that he survived.

 He had done what he needed to do in order to live. I explained him through the events of that night and the human’s basic instinct of fight or flight response to life threatening situations. It was self defense that prompted his actions, and that he should never be ashamed of standing up and fighting for his very life.

 In weeks leading up to this, his final hearing, he has come to terms with most of it and I was so proud of him. He was dealing with all of this extremely well, better than anyone would and I was in awe of just how strong my man really is.

 I was so sure that he was going to be set free today that I had Flora pack up his personal belongings and Brad had taken them to my house. Everything he needed was waiting for him there. I knew he was going to kick up a fuss but he now had half my closet and my dresser in my bedroom. My office now held half his stuff for school and his computers. We had spoken about every possible scenario of what he was going to do when the Judge granted him his freedom and the possibility of him coming to live with me appealed to him the most. Now I have to formally ask him after the hearing because he wouldn’t let me before he knew what his fate was going to be.

 He said that he wanted to get through today before he made any decisions. Emmett and his Aunt and a few other cousins were present in the court as well, and I knew that they wanted Isaac to go with them. I knew I was being a little selfish but I wanted Isaac at my side. He was free to come and go and visit whomever he wanted but he was my love, my reason for being. But if he chose to go back into the fold of his family, I wouldn’t get in his way.

 Soon enough we heard the “all rise” being announced by the uniformed Bailiff standing in the center of the courtroom. Everyone rose to their feet as the original Judge that had handled Isaac’s original case took a seat on the raised dais. He flicked his wrist and like the good citizens we were we took our seat and waited to hear what he had to say. Mr. Siegel had informed us that the process would be quick.

 The man made a show of going through the file stopping here and there to read the paperwork and shaking his head. Finally he raised his head and called the Attorneys’, Mr. Siegel and the Prosecutor up to his desk. And I could feel my anxiety spike, I didn’t realize that my leg was shaking until Richard slapped a hand on my knee and told me to relax, there was no way that any Judge in their right mind wouldn’t grant Isaac his freedom.

 After a brief conversation and a few hand gestures both Lawyer’s nodded and went back to their seat. Mr. Siegel leaned over to whisper something in Isaac’s ear and he just nodded and looked back at me and gave me his sexy little smirk. God, the man could melt me with just one glance.