I Told You So (Stark x reader)

Your relationship with Tony Stark was complicated to say the least; there wasn't a strong enough word in any language suitable for the mess that you had created together. Steve thought that he had a flash of brilliance when he introduced the two of you, finally seeing a match of intellect, sarcasm and humor in you that no one had been able to handle from the man for more than a few weeks, leaving a long list of names that were too quickly forgotten.

In many ways, the Captain was right; you and Tony were off and running on the first day when Nick Fury brought you to the tower to meet your new team. Steve had met you on a mission right before the fall of SHIELD, immediately recruiting you before you could be picked up by another agency. It was a move that he was making for himself by getting another strong team member, but also for Tony after watching him live a bachelor's life that Steve knew he wasn't really enjoying no matter what he had said.

But for you and Tony, it wasn't nearly as romantic and meant-to-be as Steve had hoped. You both had told him that you were great as best friends, but anything more would be strange and neither of you had interest in pursuing it. Despite your best effort, your casual manner with each other kept him in disbelief, seeing stolen glances across rooms between you, effortless contact as you passed by in the hall or dancing around each other in the kitchen as you cooked, sitting on his lap on movie night, and laughter that echoed throughout the building with a happiness that neither of you could possibly be faking.

For you and Tony, it was nothing but casual fun; using sex as a fantastic stress reliever and escape from reality when things got a bit too heavy. The first time the relationship shifted, it was after a particularly dangerous mission with high casualties and the weight of blame once again on the Avengers. All it took was one look from Tony as he stepped off the quinjet and an unspoken agreement was made, finding you in his room only minutes later.

The second invitation was yours to give, after Nick pulled you aside to call you a 'distraction' to Tony and threatened to take you off of the team. It took barely a whisper of your hand across the back of his neck as you passed by him in the lab to break his concentration; he followed eagerly behind, barely making it to a small office just across the hall when you couldn't wait any longer.

Now, nearly a year later, after almost twelve successful months of hiding the true nature of your relationship, you found yourself not caring anymore if anyone knew. The decision to let the truth out was almost made for you when Steve accidentally walked in on the two of you in the quinjet, seeing far more of Tony than he would ever admit to, and far more than he ever cared to.

"I knew it! I told you so!" he hollered in shock, slapping his hand over his wide eyes, though not turning to walk away as fast as he maybe should have.

"Great, Cap, you win, a whole year later," Tony replied equally as loudly but with a wide smile at the situation, "congratulations! "Now could you maybe let us finish?"

"Right, sorry...sorry," he mumbled, stumbling back out into the hangar with cautious peeking through his fingers to find his way. "If it helps, Tony, I can tell that you've been working out again."

"Steve!" you hissed. "Why in the hell do you think that would help?!"

~~~

After the incident that would forever be known as "Taking Cap's Innocence", your mind began to spin and question what it was that you and Tony were really doing. It drove you mad to be that person that needed to ask the 'what are we' question, when you had always agreed that you were casual, but that was a year ago now and it didn't feel the same. You had thought everything was great until your mind sabotaged you and now it was all you could think about, and you wondered if Tony was having any of the same questions that you were.