- 28 -

“You’re sure you want to do this?” Harry asks me as we slow to a stop. I take a deep breath and nod.

“It’s now or never.”

“Do you want me to go in with you?”

I shake my head. “I can do this alone.” I push open my door and start walking up the path to the front door. I didn’t notice I was shaking until I went to knock. Why am I so nervous?

After a moment, the door opened. The woman standing in front of me just stood there for a moment. Then, her expression changed. Her eyes started watering and she wrapped me in a hug.

“My baby,” she said in a shaky voice. My eyes started to tear up too.

“Hi Mum,” I say.

“I can’t believe you’re here. Please come inside,” she says, pulling me in. She looked so happy. “Is that the nice boy who stopped by before sitting in the car?”

“Yeah, that’s Harry. My boyfriend.”

I could tell her, right? I mean she’s my mother. It’s not like she’s going to blab about it to the press or social services. I never plan on her meeting Liam or the other boys, so what does it matter? She can know Harry and I are dating.

She smiles. “I’m glad. He’s a sweet lad.” After a moment of silence she gives me another hug. “I’m sorry, I just never thought I would see you again. You’ve grown up so much, and you look just like I did at your age.”

“Jamie told me the whole story. Or at least I think she did. About my father and everything. I’m so sorry that I’ve waited this long to get in touch with you. I had…jumped to conclusions about some things before.”

“Oh, it’s alright sweetie. Do you know anything about Melissa?” she asks hopefully.

“Yes, actually she’s living with me now. When Harry found out I had a twin he made arrangements for us to be put in the same foster home. She…didn’t want to come today,” I lie.

The truth is that she didn’t care. I tried to wake her up, but she didn’t want to sacrifice her sleep time to go see her birth mother. I guess I forgot that the only things that matter to her are sex and drinking.

“That’s a shame,” she says. She actually looked crushed. I felt bad. If only she knew what a bitch her other daughter had become.

“I was wondering if you could maybe tell me more about…everything. My past, my family…”

“What do you already know?”

So I told her. I explained everything Jamie had explained to me before. She listened with an unchanging expression as I talked. When I was finished, I took a deep breath.

“That’s basically everything,” she tells me. “Jamie didn’t leave too much out. I’m surprised she talked so highly of me after what happened. I guess she forgot to mention that part.”