CHAPTER FOURTY

By the time I was dropped off by Natalie at my driveway, and by the time I made it back into my living room, I was freaking the fuck out. I didn't want to talk to Jessie at all, yet I really needed to. I was afraid what she would say to me, and I was afraid of all the horrid things in my mind that I would love to say to her. It was only 4:30 in the afternoon, but I wanted to fall asleep for a very long time. As if sleeping would get rid of my issues right now.

I haven't replied to Jessie's text, because I want to talk to Ashton about all of this. I'll call him later, because I don't want to be clingy and whatnot right now.

But, at the same time, I don't know if Ashton even wants me to confront her. I mean, he told me I could if I wanted to, but this whole thing was about him, wasn't it? I sighed as I dropped my shopping bags at the bottom of the stairs to take up to my room later, and I headed into the kitchen to find something to drink. Vodka would be great right now, to ease this rediculous stress. But then again, its 4:30 in the afternoon, and I'm in my house. My mother and little brother were in the kitchen, and I guessed my dad was at the office. Shit, I haven't been to the office in a while. I'll deffidently go a couple times over break.

"How was the mall?" My mother asked.

"It was really fun." I smiled.

"What did you buy me?" I heard my little brother's voice at the table. I looked over to him, and eyed him, annoyed.

"Steven not now." My mom scolded. I laughed and took out a can of diet coke from the refridgerater.

...

By now it was 10:30pm, and I was so tired. Yet, I couldn't sleep. My eyes were hurting and my uscles were tired. I still havent replied to Jessie's messages, and I still haven't called Ashton about it. I stayed where I have been for the past half an hour, curled up in a ball ontop of my bed, thinking of what I should do.

Finally, I thought "fuck it" to myself, and I dialed Ashton's number. I waited patiently as it rang, softly rocking back and fourth with nervousness. After what felt like hours, the ringing stopped and I heard his voice on the other line.

"Brooke?" He said. His word ended with a high crack in his voice, and I could tell he's been drinking.

"Are you drunk, Ashton?" I asked.

"Just a tiddly bit," he replied. "Shhhh don't tell my mum haha!"

The conversation went silent as I heard Ashton ask Michael for more beer.

"Ashton," I finally said, not really in the mood for this. "This is somewhat serious."

Ashton didn't answer me, and  was beginning to grow impatient. I heard rustling in the background and a door close. The outside noise that was around Ashton instantly faded and I could tell he went into another room.

"Are you okay?" He said. He sounded surprisingly sober.

"Not really..." my voice trailed off and I sighed. "...It's stupid, but-"

"If it's bugging you, it can't possibly be stupd, right?" His voice was suddenly really sincere and I noticed my tensed muscles were slightly relaxed.

"I'm going over to Jessie's tomorrow to confront her." I blurted out after a long pause. Ashton seemed to go silent once again.

"You are?" He finally asked, his voice almost at a whisper. I couldn't tell if he was excited or disappointed at this point.

"Yeah. Well," I replied. "I haven't replied to her text, because I wanted your advice on it."

"Honestly Brooke, just go," Ashton said. "If you really feel like you should, then go. I wouldn't be able to go and talk to her all by myself, so already you're way braver than me."

I was quiet for a few seconds, then spoke up. "What do I say?"

"Just, uh.."Ashton's voice trailed off. "..Fuck, I don't know."

"Should I just wing it?" I laughed. I heard Ashton's sweet chuckle through the phone.

"I guess so," he replied. "But, if she says anything to you that hurts your feelings, you fucking walk out of that house and you call me, okay?"

"Okay Ashton." I nodded, thankful at how nice he was being about this. The line went silent for a while, except for the muffled sound of Ashton's breathing.

"Fuck, man," Ashton groaned. "I'm tired."

"Go to sleep you idiot." I laughed.

"I'm in Michael's house," Ashton whispered. I could tell the alcohol in him was picking up. I couldn't help but laugh a little. "But you can't tell Michael."

"Michael isn't there?" 

"No he is. But he can't know I'm here."

"Ashton I think you should go to bed."

"I KNOW." He said, and he instantly started cracking up. "I wish you were here." His voice was gentle again. Ashton's an odd drunk.

"I do too, Ash."

"I fucking love it when you call me Ash." he said. I smiled to myself until he kept talking. "I want you to get a good night's sleep, okay babe?"

"Okay, you too," I replied. "I'll text you tomorrow."

"Goodnight my lovey." He said softly. Before I could respond, he hung up the phone.

I sat there on my bed, my eyes slightly widened to the fact that he just called me his "lovey". I don't know what that means, and he is pretty fucking smashed right now, but it was cute and I liked it a lot. 

Finally, I sighed and scrolled down to Jessie's contact. After a 6 hour delay, I replied to her message to me.

"Yeah. I'll be over around 4:00pm?"

I waited patiently, hoping that Jessie was still awake to answer.

Minutes went by, and I ended up climbing under my covers and staring at my dark ceiling. My mind was racing, and I was scared as hell to talk to Jessie tomorrow. What would I say? I don't want to be mean to her, but at the same time she kind of deserves it.

As I was about to fall asleep, my phone vibrated. It was Jessie.

"Yeah. see you there"