Chapter 37: A German Special Car Chase

*WARNING: Contains 'Captain America: Civil War' Spoilers!

"C'mon!" Steve said, jumping from the rooftop and following Bucky and the other guy. Without thinking, I followed, using a force field to land on my feet and right in front of an incoming van.

"Sorry!" I shouted to the driver, glancing to see which way the guys went. They were outrunning the traffic and overtaking cars. There was no way I could compete with that. After all, two of them were Super Soldiers! I started running as a police car swerved in front of me, blocking my path. They were shouting in German. I quickly reached over and touched the man behind the wheel, using my electricity to knock him out instantly. Sliding him into the backseat, I jumped into the car and began driving, following them and hoping that we could get to Bucky before anyone else did. "I'm in a police car!" I said to Steve and Falcon as I started to catch up to Steve. He stopped, spotting me and immediately going for the driver door. I slid into the passenger seat.

"You knocked out a member of the German Special Forces?" Steve asked disapprovingly.

"You're the one trying to hide a criminal from the police!" I reminded him.

"Bucky's not a criminal," he said softly, almost under his breath rather than to me. As much as I agreed with this, I couldn't ignore what was happening.

"Well, everyone else thinks he is. You can't protect him forever."

"I can try," he said, narrowing his eyes to catch sight of Bucky as we heard a bang. Someone had jumped on to the roof of the car. Steve immediately began to swerve erratically to get the person off the car as I quickly reached behind me, put my seatbelt on and held onto the inside car door handle. "Sam, I can't shake this guy," Steve said.

"Right behind you!" Falcon answered immediately as more police cars, identical to the one that we were in, began driving next to us. I couldn't tell if they knew that it wasn't a policeman driving the car, but if they looked over and saw that it was Steve, we would be in a world of trouble.

"There he is!" I said as we finally got closer to Bucky, who had been blocked off by police cars from both directions. He jumped into the opposite lane and we followed, diverting the flow of traffic. As he ran, a man on a motorbike drove towards him. He put his hand out, grabbed the motorbike, threw the other man off and placed himself on it in about 30 seconds of the most amazing sequence I'd ever seen. If we ever made it out of this, he was definitely teaching me how to do that!

"We'll never catch up to him now!" Steve said, stepping harder on the gas and jerking us forward.

"Um... he's not the problem anymore," I said as the guy in the 'cat costume' jumped from the roof our car, onto the roofs of other cars and onto Bucky, causing the motorbike to be pulled to an almost 90-degree angle as it paralleled with the floor and Bucky had to use his metal arm to hold himself up. Eventually he kicked the guy off and Falcon took over.

As we got to the exit of the tunnel, Bucky threw something into the air and it exploded, causing bits of rubble to collapse onto the road. Steve began to lose control of the car. As we swerved from side to side, I undid my seat belt and jumped out of the car, Steve doing the same. I fell behind a pillar, watching as the car flipped upside down and Steve pulled the 'cat costume' guy off of Bucky, who had thrown him from the motorbike. The sound of sirens filled the air as police cornered the guys from both sides.

"Stand down now!" Rhodey said, flying through the air and landing in front of them out of the blue. "Congratulations Cap, you're a criminal."

As the police began to take Steve, Bucky and Falcon into custody, the 'cat costume' guy pulled off his mask, and we were faced with the King of Wakanda, T'Challa.

I stayed hidden, knowing that whatever happened, I'd be able to help the guys more if I wasn't taken into protective custody with them.

As the vans drove away with them inside, I walked in the opposite direction, hiding my face from any officers.

"We're in trouble," I said into the phone as soon as I was away from any moving vehicles.

"What?" Wanda asked. "I thought you were at a funeral?"

"We were. But then we heard about Vienna and..."

"Wait, you're in Vienna?" she asked. I could hear Vision speaking in the background.

"No! We're in Bucharest. We were looking for Bucky and..."

"You went looking for a criminal assassin?!" Wanda screeched down the phone.

"He's innocent! But that's not the point. German Special Forces showed up and we all ran and created destruction and now Steve, Bucky and Sam have been taken into custody and I don't know what to do."

"Come home!" she said immediately.

"You know I can't do that. I can't abandon them," I said. This whole thing started because people wanted to take responsibility for their actions, I couldn't pretend that I had nothing to do with it.

"Then what do you want me to do?"

"Find out where they're going?" I asked hopefully.

"You're asking me to get involved?"

"No! I'm asking you to please help me out. You're my best friend! Please?" I pleaded with her.

"OK," she said after a while. I could hear her walking around. "I thought Natasha was your best friend?" she asked, sounding amused.

"Nat's basically my sister, it's different. Are you helping or not?" I asked, agitated.

"OK OK," she said, typing something. "The German Special Forces headquarters is located in Berlin; they're probably taking them there."

"Do you have the exact address?"

"Yeah, but Rogue... Vision just told me that Stark and Natasha are there, they're waiting for them. This thing is about to get a whole lot bigger, are you sure that you want to be involved?"

"I have no choice," I answered automatically.

"Then you better go, quickly!" she said, reeling off an address.

"Thank you, love you!" I said, ending the call and getting into a vacant taxi and making my way to the airport. The Avengers had been through so much together, there was no way that I could abandon them now. And even if nothing else mattered, I had to find a way to save Bucky. He was innocent.

****************************************

Thanks so much for reading! Come back next Saturday to see what happens next!

So, should Rogue go to Berlin and help save the day? Or should she follow Wanda's advice and go home? Comment your thoughts and please vote if you liked this chapter! xx