25: Mediums

"Don't hurt Grace, she- brought me here- to you", Max said warily from behind.

"Max-Is that really you", I could hear the shock in his voice. The knife wasn't digging into my back anymore and fell on the floor with a thud. I turned around to find Max embracing my assailant which I guessed was his uncle Joe. They broke off abruptly, looking so happy to finally meet each other, after all these years.

"I have looked for you everywhere uncle Joe, I thought you didn't live here anymore".

" Mia requested me to perform numerous rituals to find any of you, she-she thought one of you guys will stay back for her, but sadly we were unsuccessful. ".

"I didn't know if I wanted Mia to find me. She couldn't have seen me anyway.", Max shrugged, his jaw clenched, he said the words more to himself. I saw guilt flash through his eyes.

"It's okay Max", Joe sensed the tension in Max's voice.

Max cleared his throat, "Uncle Joe this is Grace, she is lives at our old place."

"I am very sorry for attacking you." Max's uncle gave me a apologetic look.

"If I was in your position I would have taken the same step."

"So is this guarded by some spell to not let any ghosts in?" Max asked pointing to the impassable door that Max had tried going through.

"Yes but any medium can get in. Your sibling can too, Grace. Is she or he a medium?", Joe said looking at me.

"Yes, my baby sister but how did you know?"

"You can see Max and given you couldn't pass the door, I assumed you have a medium sibling. As siblings who have shared the same womb with a medium get some of the powers transferred to them also"

"So Max's father had the inborn talent of seeing ghosts given he's your brother".

"Yes-so did Max, as Max's little brother Marco was a medium".

"I thought mediums were born in a family every fifth generation. How come after you Marco came in the next generation?"

"Yes but in every century special medium is born who doesn't follow the every fifth generation rule- I have the power to bring one ghost back to life in my whole lifetime. That's why I have to be on a run because let's face it Grace no one's ready to die".

I knew that already, given Max provided me those information before. "So that mean my sister-".

"Yes your sister is a normal medium who can communicate with ghosts and help them but she doesn't possess the power of bringing a ghost to life".

"How do you bring a ghost back to life?" Max asked.

"Something that involves opening a portal to past, specifically- the day that person died and bringing the body back to present through that portal. As two souls can't stay in the same world together, the ghost vanishes leaving its body with its soul behind" All this was a bit too surreal for me.

"How do you make an entity leave the present world?"

"By exorcism".

I quirked an eyebrow at him, "You mean the ones they show in the movies?"

Joe laughed his hair falling on his forehead, "They look so dramatic, in fact it's quite different than that. A medium just says a bunch of verses from the holy book while the entity sits, surrounded by blessed salt".

"So there is no screaming demons or spirits or anything?"

"No its much simpler than that actually".