The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 30]

This book is available for purchase on amazon.com as an ebook. 

Chapter Thirty

Ingrid kept a respectful distance behind Paxton, watching from the doorway as he set Theo down on a bed and knelt next to him. She hated seeing him in so much pain and agony. She knew that she needed to mentally prepare herself for his attitude. Ingrid had no doubt that Paxton would be an ass to her and try to push her away as much as possible.

Paxton bowed his head and placed a hand on Theo's. He murmured something unintelligible and clenched his fist. "I know you're there, Ingrid," he growled suddenly. He kept his hand on Theo's but raised his head back up.

"How?" Ingrid asked.

"You smell."

Flinching from the venom in his voice, she took a step forward, "Not bad, I hope."

Paxton sighed, "What are you doing here?"

"I was looking for you. I just wanted to make sure you are alright."

Paxton let out a bitter laugh, "Do I look alright? My brother is dead, and you want to see if I'm all right? Why don't you just leave me alone, okay? Just leave. I don't want to talk to you."

"No," she replied firmly. "I'm not leaving you alone."

He stood up slowly and faced her, masking the pain with anger. "Seriously, Ingrid. Do I need to write it down for you? Fuck. Off."

She gave him a stubborn look and crossed her arms, "You're not getting rid of me that easily."

He looked at her in disbelief and then snorted. "Fine. I'll just leave then." He muttered some choice curse words under his breath and stalked past her, out of the room, making sure to bump her roughly. Wincing, she followed after him, practically running to keep up with his fast pace. He stormed into his room, slamming the door shut after him, but Ingrid managed to catch it at the last minute. She entered and shut it softly behind her.

Paxton stiffened, but he ignored her, keeping his back to her as he tugged off his shirt and threw it to the side. He was doing it on purpose, hoping to make her uncomfortable. She had to tear her eyes away from his sculpted back in order to concentrate.

"Paxton," she said hesitantly, knowing one thing could piss him off.

"What?" he snarled, still not facing her.

Ingrid wanted to give a little cheer because he had responded, but she kept her voice neutral when she replied to him. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you, no matter what. I promised I wouldn't give up on you, and I won't."

She had to consciously make herself stay in place as he whirled around suddenly to face her. His eyes were blazing in anger as he stalked towards her. "I don't do the whole lovey-dovey-let's-talk-about-feelings-and-hold-hands-as-we-dance-around-the-fire-singing-Kumbaya-shit."

"Okay," Ingrid smiled weakly, "no Kumbaya or fires. Check."

That only seemed to make him angrier as he took another step towards her. "Leave now, before I do something I'll regret."

"No, I'm here for you," she persisted. "Whatever you need me for."

Paxton looked mildly surprised before an evil look flitted across his face. "Whatever I need?" When she merely nodded he grinned. "So, if all I want right now is to fuck you'd be okay with that?"

Ingrid swallowed nervously but looked straight into Paxton's eyes, "If that's what you need to help you forget, then yes."

He cocked his head mockingly and took yet another step closer to her. They were now only about a foot apart. "So now you're a whore looking for an easy fuck?" he said, deliberately being crude to offend her.