Tatlo

K a r o l i i n a

Standing in front of the five bowls felt nerve-wracking.

With a hundred people looking at you whilst you made your decision, you couldn't quite comprehend what you are doing. You can really feel their judging stares that analysed your every move, and their prying eyes that calculated your actions pierce into your soul like a sharpened arrow. Their stares cause you to stop thinking and do things you never thought of doing—not in a million years.

Well, at least that's what I liked to tell myself as I hovered my hand above the lit coals and poured my blood into Dauntless' bowl.

At first, there was only silence. It was so quiet that I could hear my blood sizzling against the coals, and the voices in my head telling me what an idiotic decision I just made.

But, the cheers then came. The Dauntless that stood at the farthest corner of the room cheered so loud I thought my ears would fall off. Some stood in their seats, waving around handkerchiefs in blacks and reds, whilst some hooted and clapped endlessly.

My heart thudded, threatening to jump out of my chest. I couldn't fully grasp what I just did. Did I really choose Dauntless?

As Jeanine gestured for the cheering Dauntless to calm their ruckus, I let my gaze fall to the Abnegations who were quiet compared to the faction I just chose. I stared at Dahlia, my eyes betraying me by showing my emotions.

Did I make the right decision?  Was my silent question.

Dahlia mouthed nothing, and only wore a proud smile on her face; a smile that a mother made when her child did something good. For the first time, I smiled back at her. I hoped that she saw the gratitude in my small grin, the 'Thank you for raising me.' and 'I'm sorry I never really talked to you and for being such a lame adopted daughter.' smile.

My mouth said something softly without me processing it. I love you, I had mouthed, and Dahlia smiled when she saw me do it. 

And I you, Karoliina.

I was happy that my last memory of her was her smiling face as everyone started dispersing back to their own factions.

Dauntless were fast, wild, and crazy daredevils.

Almost all Dauntless members were now up the railings that held up the train and its tracks. I, unfortunately, was still below them, stuck on one of the railings as it had entangled with my dress.

I bit my lip as I tugged on my long dress, flinching when I heard something rip. I pulled harder on my clothing, tearing the already torn cloth and separating it from the rest of my dress.

I smiled when the entangled cloth came apart, finally freeing me from my situation. Quickly, I pushed myself up on the railings, grabbing and pulling until I reached the top.

It took me almost three minutes to do the task, but thankfully I did it just in time before the train arrived. Some initiates looked at me, seeing my torn and ripped dress a bit disturbing, before looking at the train as its wheels sounded loudly against the tracks.

The Dauntless-borns who decided to stay loyal to their faction jumped into the train first, seemingly without any hesitation. The transfers, however, made no move to catch the train.

Wasn't it going to stop?

A few seconds passed, and our unsaid question was answered. No, the train was not going to stop.

A boy from Erudite braced himself, and then launched his body towards one of the train's cars. After his successful act of braveness, a Candor transfer followed, and soon, the other transfers also started to hurl themselves towards the train.