Chapter 99

Nandini tentatively gazed around the hall. The doors to the hall were open, and a guard was making his way to the yard. Barring him, the hall was practically deserted. Then she saw the individual she'd dreaded facing since yesterday.

Kadambari was striding out of a room at the back of the hall.

Nandini steadied her nerves, and it didn't take much effort. Her confidence was a tad higher than it was yesterday, maybe because she had taken care to dress up as nicely as she could.

The second-prettiest outfit in her collection, a pretty necklace that mother had insisted on keeping in her bag as a spare, dangling earrings, and beautiful new bangles and anklets. There were no more weapons in her armoury, she mulled resignedly.

It also helped that the confusion had reduced. Probably the result of a long blissful slumber. She had gone to bed in a befuddled state, expecting another restless night. But sleep had overcome her in a jiffy and she had woken up in the morning with a refreshed and clear mind.

Now she walked towards Kadambari with fresh resolve. She had to break the ice somehow...

Kadambari halted on her way to the kitchen, puzzled by the tinkling noise of anklets. She turned with a frown, intending to remind the irresponsible maid of an established rule.

But it wasn't a maid. Prithvi's mousy and tame "friend" was approaching her with a shy smile.

Kadambari critically evaluated the guest's appearance. The girl had not ventured from her room yesterday after speaking to Uday Singh, who had apparently shared his plans for Prithvi's birthday and sought help.

Had she been unwell? Kadambari wondered, looking for signs of illness. But the girl looked quite bright in the cream and pink churidaar kurta, with glowing skin, sparkling eyes and long hair half-open.

She responded mechanically to Nandini's greeting, and said, "Please seat yourself at the table. A maid will bring you tea."

"Aunty, I'm sorry about yesterday," Nandini apologised quickly.

"I don't recollect any action of yours that requires my forgiveness," Kadambari said impassively.

"I didn't have the right to call you 'Choti maa'," Nandini said awkwardly. "You don't know me. So it was rude of me to...but Prithvi had spoken about you so fondly, so I felt I knew you. That's why I took the liberty to – but it won't happen again," she pledged sincerely.

Kadambari gazed at her with growing delight. "He spoke to you about me?" she asked, stunned.

Nandini nodded vigorously, glad about not being subjected to an intimidating stare or comment. "He has told me a lot about you. About how you took care of him when he was young," she elaborated anxiously.

To her shock, tears sprung up in Kadambari's eyes. Then a joyful smile spread on the older woman's sweetly chubby face, and Nandini breathed easy again.

"I will serve you tea myself," Kadambari announced, conjuring an embroidered handkerchief from somewhere within the folds of her saree to swab at her eyes with a pudgy hand.

"Please don't go to the trouble, aunty," Nandini said swiftly. "I'll come to the kitchen and -"

"You cannot go there! You must not!" Kadambari cut in, looking scandalised. "Come with me. You will sit at the table as is appropriate," she proclaimed, stowing away the handkerchief.

Nandini jumped as her suddenly affable host proceeded to issue very loud instructions to maids in the kitchen. Then she was impelled firmly towards the dining area. Minutes later, Kadambari was standing beside her and pouring tea into a lovely cup. Four plates of biscuits and other baked items accompanied the beverage.