Chapter 20

Keil mumbled another set of foul words as he broke another branch in half with Finna's foot. How could that woman be so difficult! Why was she always trying to run away? What exactly was she planning to return to? Damn this stubborn land dweller! How dare she! Did Sylvia really have no idea of what was waiting for her back home? Did she forget about the lashes on her back so soon? Was being with him really so bad, even though he had spent the better part of his night running for his life just to bring her back some nice clothes? He was only trying to save her, only trying to offer her a better life!

He cursed again. Sylvia had to understand that she was his now, and he was not going to let her go. He was going to bring her home as his wife, whether she liked it or not. He was a royal prince, and he would not be denied by a lowly peasant like her! It was what he desired, and what was best for her anyhow. Sylvia was going to have to learn her place, one way or another. He would make her understand his intentions.

Keil glanced over again to where Sylvia sat. She was being uncharacteristically cooperative and quiet, which was a relaxing change. Though seeing her slumped against the wall in misery did little to satisfy his frustration. He sighed. If only Sylvia could understand him, then none of this would be a problem, none of this would have happened! She would be happy to come with him, happy to marry him. Though instead she seemed to hate him, taking every opportunity to run away even though he cared so much for her!

"Sylvia!" He called.

She gave a startled jump and looked at him with apprehension.

"You will love me. I will make you happy!" He announced.

His bride made no reply, staring at him with a mixture of anxiety and fear in her eyes. Keil just scowled and turned back to his work.

"You will see Sylvia, you will see," He mumbled.

******

As the sun began to set Keil was finally able to put his plan into motion. He had worked hard all day to gather supplies and prepare his tools for tonight. After crafting a wing brace from a set of sturdy branches he felt confident that Finna would indeed be able to fly once more. Which was a relief, because he really needed to put some distance between them and Sylvia's village and the men looking for her.

Keil suddenly turned to look at his bride. She had remained quiet all day in her small area, even after removing her gag. He truly hated to see her that way, despite his anger. He hadn't meant to scare her either, just to make her stop screaming! If anyone heard her it could spell death for them both. Why couldn't she see that and just cooperate for once? Well, he supposed he should try to make amends before take-off. He didn't want their journey to begin on the wrong after all. So, he got up and carefully approached his very feisty woman.

"Sylvia?" He called softly.

Sylvia flinched at his address and gazed up at him obediently, though her face showed only a very real fear. He sat down beside her, staring into her eyes with a calm worry.

"You cannot go home Sylvia. Those people you live and work with, they only wish to hurt you! I saw it, I heard it. You will only be in danger if you go back!" He tried to explain.

His bride gave no reply, not even looking in the least bit comforted by what he had said. Keil sighed and rubbed his forehead with aggravation. This whole situation between them was getting way out of control. He had to do something before she came to hate him for good!

He bent down and brushed away a lock of hair that was stuck to her face. Sylvia flinched at his touch but dared not shy away completely. Then he grabbed her chin and faced her to him in a gentler way.

"I am sorry Sylvia. Please, do not hate me. I will not hurt you," He said, desperate to show her his remorse and affection.

His bride looked back into his gaze, a sense of confused hopelessness still reflecting in her bright blue eyes. Keil rubbed his head again, feeling at a loss of what to do. Perhaps his efforts were all in vain right now. Just how was he supposed to make her understand his feelings? How could he make her accept his love? He thought for a moment, and then pulled out his knife to undo her ropes. Sylvia remained ever stiff at his touch, but he felt her body relax a little as she was let loose. He grabbed both of her hands and brought them up to his face. Then took a moment to kiss each one, remembering that they had been the very instruments which had saved his life not long ago.

Keil loved Sylvia, he loved her so much. He knew she was scared and upset with him right now, but he could never allow her to remain in a place like this. He wanted so much more for her, so much better! He only wanted to keep her safe and make her happy. So, he kissed her hands again, making her fidget around uncomfortably. Then he moved to stroke her face and gaze deep into her eyes, wondering how he could ever show her what he was so strongly feeling. Sylvia looked back at him, her expression somewhat softened by his gentle gestures, though she still looked nervous. Keil then moved to lift up his shirt and place one of her hands on his scars, leading her around them all, letting her feel them with her soft finger tips.

"You saved me Sylvia. I love you, so you will be mine," He said slowly.

Sylvia examined him curiously for a moment, still not looking fully able to comprehend his words. He sighed with defeat and kissed her hand again before letting it go.

"You will see Sylvia, you will see," He said as softly as he could.

Then he stood back up and returned to making preparations. She just needed enough time to see the truth.