Tell Me When the Whistle Blows - Part Three

The girls exited through the door to find Dumbledore carefully reading off an old piece of parchment aloud, the ingredients list for his favorite, Alexandra's french toast. The girl's watched as jars of seasonings floated toward him, landing on the table.

"Four fresh eggs," he said beneath his breath. "Right."

Liesel smiled broadly. "Headmaster, allow me," she said

Dumbledore looked up, caught completely by surprise and a glass jar containing nutmeg tumbled toward the floor.

Liesel withdrew her wand and pointed quickly. "ARRESTO MOMENTUM!"

Dumbledore looked up with an amused look in his eyes. "You have your father's lighting-fast reflexes I see?"

"Sorry," she said, her face becoming hot as her cheeks turned scarlet.

"Oh, that's alright," he said jovially. "Tell me, why are you three up and about?"

"We were on our way to see Professor McGonagal," Kaitlyn offered.

"Well, you're in luck then. She's on her way here. We were going to share a midnight breakfast. In honor of tomorrow's victory. No doubt you've already heard the good news, Miss Rhodes?"

Liesel's face lost all expression. "I did Sir. That's what I wanted to talk to her about?"

"Oh?"

"I told our team's Captain."

Dumbledore nodded his head. "Ahhh. Well, I would expect no less from a Hufflepuff. It's not a bad thing you know, loyalty."

"Then why do I feel like a traitor?"

"Because," Dumbledore smiled gently. "I reckon it's because you have feelings for Sirius?"

Liesel nodded. "Yeah. I suppose I do."

"The Hufflepuff team is in very good form this year. But Gryffindor is unbeatable with Black on it."

"I kind of got that impression."

"What are you three doing out of bed at this hour!"

The girls turned around to find Professor McGonagal facing them with her hands on her hips and a scowl on her face.

Liesel burst into tears and she ran up to the good Professor and wrapped her arms around her and tilting her head beneath the woman's neck rubbing her face on the woman's cloak, hoping to be comforted.

Minerva's stance became a little more relaxed and she wrapped her arms around the girl in an attempt to comfort her. "What ever it is, you can tell me," the older witch said gently and she listened as Liesel explained what she had done. "I see," she said finally in a stern voice. She looked into the girl's eyes and handed her a handkerchief. "I admire your loyalty, I really do. To your team and to Sirius. He'll appreciate that as well," she said gently, with a twinkle in her eye. Then her eyes welled up a bit. "And your courage to come to me and tell me as well...well, that speaks volumes. Can't say I'm surprised though." She smiled finally. "That's why I was disappointed when you weren't sorted into my house."

"You were?"

"Of course I was," she replied. "Not to worry though. I'll take care of this right now. And as your punishment for being out of bed at this hour..." She raised her brow and pointed toward the table, then turned on her heel to leave the kitchen. "Prepare the french toast and clean up the mess afterward. Make enough for five!" She then stopped and turned her head. "TEN POINTS TO HUFFLEPUFF FOR MOXIE! EACH!"

Liesel covered her face with her hand and wept hard, relieved that her news was so well-received.

_____

Minerva made her way to the Gryffindor common room and then toward the sixth year's boy's dormitory. She knocked on the door and hearing nothing, entered quietly. She looked at the sleeping boys and made her way to Potter's bedside and woke him up.

"Potter," she whispered nudging him awake.

James' eyes fluttered open and he pulled his blanket up to his neck. "Professor! What's wrong!" He sat up in his bed and rubbed at his eyes.

"Shh! Listen carefully..." She explained what had been told to her as James listened intently, nodding his head.

"Oh, that's why she's not going to attend the match then," he said.

"What? I didn't get that impression."

"Sirius told me what she said, word for word. God, it's gonna kill him."

"Clearly, you don't know a woman's heart, Potter."

"What do you mean?"

"She said that she was going to sit on the Gryffindor side with her own House color blazing brightly."

James smiled and nodded. "So he could easily see her."

Minerva smiled and nodded. "Mmhmm."

"But why did she tell Jones and Jonson then?"

Minerva stood up and placed her hands on her hips. "Wouldn't you want to be told?"

James moved to speak and then changed his mind. Finally, he nodded. "Yes. I would Professor."

"Well then. Formulate a plan quickly. Don't wake Sirius. He looked as if he hadn't slept for two days."

James grinned. "He hasn't."

Minerva smiled. "I gathered that judging by his display on arrival night."

James nodded. "We have to protect Sirius. Professor, can everyone be a beater?"

"Mister Potter, there are two bludgers and two beaters. Those are the rules and you know it."

He nodded. "Right. And no wands either right?"

She nodded. "Mmhmm."

Clearly, James was already formulating a plan in his head.

"You sleep on it James. I daresay that you'll have your work cut out for you tomorrow."

"I don't mind that so much. Least it won't be a blood bath," he joked.

"See that it isn't. Good night Potter."

"Good night, Professor."