033

Thirty-Three | Death and Doppelgängers

Kol pulled the car into the driveway of the Mikaelson mansion back in Mystic Falls. It was quite magnificant, and I hadn't really noticed the outside much as it was covered in darkness the night of the ball.

"Are you gonna get out or just stare?" Kol asked me.

"Oh, right." I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out the car.

I walked up the stairs. Kol opened the front door and we went inside. I followed Kol upstairs and into a large bedroom.

It was big and kind of dull. I noticed a record player in the corner, the exact one that was in mine and Elijah's apartment back in New Orleans when we were together. I remembered that it wasn't in the apartment when he left.

This must be Elijah's room.

Kol was rummaging through Elijah's drawers and things, "I'm sure it's in here somewhere."

I sat on the edge of Elijah's bed but instantly stood up again, feeling slightly awkward, "What exactly are you looking for?"

Kol was walking round the room, looking at everything. He bent down near the bed, "A photo. A-ha."

He took a small box from a drawer that was built into the bottom of the bed. I furrowed my brows as he stood up and lifted the box open. He took out a picture and placed the box down on the bed.

"Cassie." Kol said, holding the photo close to his chest so I couldn't see it.

"Yeah?" I tilted my head, wondering what it was.

"This is going to be difficult for you, do you want to sit down?" He asked.

"Um, all right." I walked over to a wooden chair and sat in it. Kol followed and stood beside me.

"Do you want the story or the picture first?" He asked.

"I don't know, uh, the picture?" I said, still very confused.

Kol handed me the picture. I frowned staring at a picture of myself, "This is an old picture of me? I don't remember it?" I looked at the bottom of the photo, "1103? That can't be right. I was born in 1846."

"Cassie..." Kol said. I looked up at him, "That isn't you."

"What? Of course it is." I held the picture next to my face, "See?"

Kol lowered my arm, "No, it isn't. Her name was Arabella Fell."

I choked in shock, "What?"

"She was your paternal ancestor and also your doppelgänger." Kol said.

I shook my head, "No, no. You're messing with me, right?" He shook his head, "Why is there a picture of her in Elijah's stuff?"

"It's a fine detailed drawing." He told me, "Arabella was Elijah's first love. He was completely smitten and when she died, well, it completely broke him."

I stood up near Kol. Tears in my eyes, "You're telling me that Elijah was in love with my doppelgänger and he didn't tell me? She looks exactly like me."

"You had a right to know." Kol said.

I angrily kicked the chair I was previously sat on, breaking it, "I can't believe he kept this from me. He was in love with someone who looks exactly like me."

Kol embraced me, and I pressed my head into his chest. He comfortingly stroked my hair, "I know, I know."

"Cassie, Kol, what are you doing?" I heard a familiar voice behind us.