[14] Bubbles

It had been almost a month since Aisling had followed Snape down to the Whomping Willow and she had been making an extra effort to talk to Remus Lupin as often as she could. Whether it was making conversation about the book he was reading at breakfast, or asking him about particularly tricky counter curses and jinxes in the common room. The latter was actually very beneficial for her as Defence Against the Dark Arts was one of Aisling's weaker subjects. As they spoke more and more, she realised how stupid she had been to ever be scared of him. And she wantes to keep talking to him as much as she could, so that he could rest completely secure in the knowledge that she would never divulge his secret to anybody. She wanted him to know that he could trust her

She still hadn't spoken to Sirius, and nor did she intend to. Of course, that article that had been written about his family in The Daily Prophet had been awful. She couldn't deny that she felt a pang of sympathy for him every time Snape started quoting it to him in lessons or at mealtimes. But she was still upset with him for that howler, and the awful, poisonous things that he had said about her.

But on the bright side, exam season was finally coming to an end. Aisling, along with the rest of the fifth years, only had two more exams to sit. They were Defence Against the Dark Arts, which was that day, and Transfiguration on Friday. But the fact that she only had two exams left didn't mean Aisling was slacking; on the contrary, she was now even more determined to carry on as she had been now that she could see a light at the end of the tunnel.

She was so motivated in fact, that after their Defence Against the Dark Arts theory exam that morning she chose to go back up to the tower and study for the practical exam instead of going with her friends to laze around in the sunshine. The second option had been very tempting however, as it was by far the hottest day of the year. Unfortunately, her motivation seemed to evaporate after twenty minutes of sitting in an armchair by the window. The common room, which usually felt so spacious, now felt cramped and stuffy. She decided that perhaps she had revised enough, and went downstairs towards the inviting green grass and shimmering lake.

But before she could even make it out onto the grounds she was almost knocked over by someone who was storming down the corridor. To her surprise she saw that the student in question was Lily.

"Lil? Are you okay?" She asked, bewildered.

Lily did not answer, but wiped a tear from her cheek and sniffed.

"Lily!" Aisling heard Alice running in from the entrance hall and turned to face her.

"What's happened?" Aisling asked, very confused.

"Well, Potter and Black...they were taking the piss out of Snape. You know like they usually do? And, well..."

She looked hesitantly over at Lily who nodded for her to continue.

"Lil went to go and stick up for him and he- he called her a you-know-what."

Alice's eyes were wide as she looked again at Lily; who had more angry tears brimming in her eyes.

"What?" Aisling asked, not quite believing what she was hearing. "Snape? He called her a- oh my god! That's horrible."

"It's okay honestly. I knew he was starting to turn into a bit of a git. I guess this just proves it." Lily's words were dismissive but her tone suggested otherwise.

"Wait here." Aisling said through gritted teeth.

She marched out of the front doors, eyes narrowed and scanning the grass for any sign of a greasy haired slimeball. She walked over in the direction of the large beech tree and when she rounded the corner her eyes were met with one of the strangest sights she had ever witnessed.