eighteen: insufferable twat

Chapter Eighteen

Two hours.

Brooklyn leaned back against the soft, velvety sofa, staring up at the ceiling blankly. She'd been waiting for two bloody hours.

She supposed she should've known. She should've gone back to her room after the first thirty minutes, she wasn't even sure why she was still waiting. Probably because she didn't really have anything better to do.

Uncrossing her legs, she stood up, yawning and stretching slightly to loosen her stiff muscles. The common room was empty. Everyone was out enjoying the fresh winter air, which was exactly what she was supposed to be doing. Unfortunately, she was stuck inside, having just been stood up by the world's biggest prat.

Well, she certainly wasn't going to sit around any longer.

"Unbelievable," she muttered to herself, shaking her head as she trudged out the portrait hole and headed down the corridor. She couldn't believe it. Four years of his constant persistence, and now, he hadn't even bothered to show up. Unbelievable. Sure, she hadn't even wanted to go on this stupid date in the first place, but she was still seething. Stupid arrogant toehead.

Perhaps she was jumping to conclusions. She hadn't seen James all morning, maybe something had happened? Still, she couldn't help but feel miffed. She'd just wasted two hours of her life waiting for James Potter. She truly was an idiot.

She was just contemplating whether she should go look for him, when suddenly, a familiar voice startled her from her thoughts. "Brook!"

Turning around, she caught sight of Fabian coming down the hall towards her, grinning cheerfully.

"Oh, hey, Fabian." She smiled wearily.

He seemed to notice something was wrong, and he gave her a concerned look. "Everything okay?"

"Er, yeah. Fine." She shrugged, deciding not to let stupid James Potter ruin her day. She grinned back at him. "Shouldn't you be outside enchanting snowballs to throw themselves at Filch's head or something?"

Fabian chuckled, his eyes twinkling. "That's on tomorrow's agenda, actually. Right now, Gid's gone somewhere with some Hufflepuff girl, and I'm dying to go to Hogsmeade with someone." His expression brightened. "So, I was wondering if you'd like to accompany me. Unless you have other plans or something."

Brooklyn hesitated for a moment, her mind wandering to a certain Gryffindor chaser, but she quickly wiped him from her thoughts. Clearly, the date was off, so it wouldn't hurt to go out and enjoy herself with a friend, right? So, giving Fabian a nod, she smiled. "I'd love to."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oi, Evans! Evans!"

The emerald green eyes glanced up, her nose scrunching in confusion as she watched James Potter barrel into the common room in a frenzied hurry, calling her name like a psychotic person. "Evans!"