(45)

I didn't die that day.

Strange, huh? Dying for a few minutes then waking up. It feels like floating. As if you're on a cloud and flying somewhere but you actually can't open your eyes and see what are you floating on.

That day, I died for a whole 3 minutes and 32 seconds. When my heart started beating again I went into a coma for a whole week. They were starting to lose hope but they continued giving me the medication. After I woke up, I was pretty much a whole damned mess. My hair was falling pretty quickly and I pretty much threw up anything I had in my system. I was getting as thin as a twig until this one day I woke up feeling like a sunshine and I was happy and laughing. After some tests, I found out the tumours were slowly shrinking. They gave me the medicine with even higher dosage which made me feel even more tired. But I always reminded myself that I am getting better so I had to keep going. For them. Noah, June, Mom, Zoë, Derek, Zach and Aiden. So I kept taking the medication and taking up all my senior year online. At the end of the senior year, on the day of the prom, I was at the hospital getting recovered from a dosage of meds and I found Noah and Zoë and Zach and Aiden and a girl I learned her name is Lindsay in my room all dressed up in their suits and dresses. I almost cried when they told me they are gonna spend prom night with me. Lindsay was Aiden's date and she was so sweet and caring, she almost cried when she saw me. To me, it was the best prom night ever. After that, I spent a few more month were I officially completed 1 year taking the medication. Derek came into my room with a surprised expression, he said that it was a medical miracle and that I was officially cancer free. Mom cried loads that day and kept hugging me and whispering 'Thank you for holding up'. I even surprised Noah when he came home from Yale. I went to his house and carried a sign with 'NEC means No Evidence of Cancer which is now my case'. When he came in and read it he fell to the ground and put his head in his hands and cried for an eternity. I kept hugging him and chuckling at his state and the look he gave me that day, that grateful look that I was still alive and that now I was healthy made me cry. Everyone was ecstatic that I was still here and breathing. I was grateful no one got hurt.

After that, I went to college, I majored in graphic design in NYU and Noah still went to Yale for law. We always kept talking and meeting each other every now and then until he finished. I was still in my final year when he came back. He started working almost immediately as he graduated the top of his class. He worked for an institution for lawyers and was doing pretty well in it. After a while, at the end of my final year, he bought an apartment and asked me to move in with him. After a lot of convincing and crying and whining and whimpering and begging, mom finally said yes with an exception that we would have a big family dinner every 2 weeks or so. I accepted and I moved in. To be honest it wasn't that much of a difference because we always talked all the time but it was nice having a shoulder to sleep on at night.

So, here I was, a 23 year old, working for a graphic design company, living with Noah, and finally still cancer free. I go for a checkup every 3 months to check there isn't any tumour growth, and till now, there isn't. I have been with Noah for 5 years now and it couldn't have been more perfect. He is still the same Noah, the funny yet serious one. He doesn't let me pay my share of the rent or for me to buy anything for my own money. The same Noah. A while ago, he proposed to me, on my 23 birthday, I cried and of course agreed. Mom was still in the same house. Aiden, who is now a business man, is still with Lindsay, who is a vet now. Zach proposed to Zoë and now they both are living downtown, 10 minutes away from us. Zach worked in an engineering institute while Zoë simply opened a bakeries shop in the middle of town. Aiden works as a business man as Lindsay now is a vet. They both are very happy together even though they are not married or anything; they still do act like it, which is weird because Aiden was always the one who didn't have a girlfriend or anything.

My life, Z's, Zach's, Aiden's and all of our lives were now perfect.

Today we were gonna go to a reunion at Z's bakery shop as Aiden finally got a vacation from his job. I was already sitting on my bed, waiting for Noah to get back from work. Noah has been the sweetest after what happened. Every time I get depressed after an MRI scan knowing that I may have cancer again, he would always be there, beside me, whispering soothing things in my ear. He was always there no matter what, and for that I was internally grateful.

"Honey, I'm home!" I hear his voice say as he gets in the apartment. I rush off the bed and out of the bed as I hurry to the front door. I see his back facing me and I run faster but yet quiet before letting out a roar and jumping on his back. He immediately lets go of his briefcase and holds onto my thighs so that I don't slip. I smile widely and kiss his cheek before stuffing my head into the crook of his neck.

"What the hell are you doing?" he says with a laugh.

"What? I am a monkey!" I say as I grin widely. He chuckles at me before adjusting my on his back and walking through the apartment until we reach the room. "This is my stop, thank you, taxi driver!" I say as I hop off his back. He bows to me playfully before chuckling yet again.

"Why are you wearing a dress?" he says as he eyes me weirdly. I sigh and place my hands on my hips.

"Z's reunion? Name rings any bell?" I say as I raise my eyebrows. His eyes widen before rushing to the wardrobe. "I already put an outfit for you on the bed." I say as I bite my lip. He smiles at me as he pulls me into a hug.

"What would have I done without you?" he says as he looks at me in awe.

"Nothing, you would've slept." I say with another smile. He forces a smile before sighing and unbuttoning his shirt and throwing it in the laundry basket. He changes into some sweatpants and a T-shirt before grabbing his wallet, phone and car keys.

"Ready?" he asks. I nod quickly as I adjust the strap of my purse on my shoulder. We walk side by side till we reach the car. The car ride was mostly me dancing weirdly to songs I have never listened to and before I realize it, we were in front of Z's bakeries shop. I rush out of the car and inside the bakeries shop to find Z and Lindsay talking. I squeal making them shift their gaze to me. Z's eyes widen as she starts running over to me. She tackles me in a hug and I have to steady myself from falling.

"Gosh, I missed you, do I have to make a damned reunion to just see your face?" She says as she slaps my arm slightly. Lindsay rushes to me as I pull her into a hug as well.

"Sorry, I have been busy, the boss wanted me to make a whole 2 minute movie and I have to admit, I am now coffee addicted." I say. Suddenly, Aiden, Zach and Noah approach us.

"I thought I hear a squirrel invasion, I was almost hundred percent sure it was Lexi leading them." Zach says. Aiden and Noah stuff in their laughs as I slap Zach's arm. I laugh a bit as I pull him and Aiden into a hug as Noah hugs both Lindsay and Z. We were a family here, we weren't jealous of each other.

"Let's eat, shall we?" Z says as she claps her hands. I nod with a smile and Noah wraps his arm around my waist. As we sit on the table, I look at their laughing figures and smile. Who thought I'd be here today without their help?

And to think that it all started with a stupid bet.

I look as my eyes fill with tears at Z as she laughs so loud that I almost cringe, at Lindsay's shy yet wide smile, at Aiden's grinning face and at Zach's grateful look he is giving Z.

"Are you okay?" I hear Noah whisper in my ear. I turn to him and grin.

"I have never been better." I say with a sly smile on my face. He grins at me before leaning in and pecking my lips. I kiss him back as my lips stretch into a smile.

"Get a room!" Zach says with a teasing smirk. Noah glares at him playfully.

"I can still street fight, you know?" he says as he cracks his knuckles. We all laugh as I stare at my lap.

I knew life was now perfect.

But I also knew fates would never let me go this easily.

It's never this easy.

But as long as I had them by my side, I won't mind. They are my miracle. I will never let them go.