Chapter 11 Liam

Swirling in front of the mirror, Kate gave her image a critical review. Her shiny hair reached the middle of her back, two small braids framing her face before joining behind her head. She had chosen a simple linen moss green dress, with a sensible cleavage, adjusted top, and flowing, ankle length skirt. The front was embroidered with a multicoloured flower pattern, V shaped toward the waist, emphasizing her curvy figure. Her feet were comfortable in caramel leather pumps with green ribbons circling around her ankles. The evening’s program was dinner followed by the Midsummer Festival in town and they were going to have to walk there. The crowd would be too dense for horses or carriages to go through.

She picked up a matching purse and a soft woollen shawl, woven in similar tones as the embroidery on her dress, then glanced at the clock on the wall. Just on time!

As if on clue, there was a knock at the door. She rolled her eyes up, opening it. Liam O’Brien was famously obsessed with precision. And there he stood, all six foot four of him, in a dark purple shirt, black leather jacket and trousers. She smiled at him, motioning him inside, but he held a hand out instead, palm up, to her. She took it and he pulled her gently outside toward him, kissed her cheeks, then held her at arm length, grinning. He watched her intently:

“First time I see you out of your work attire, and I must say you clean up nicely. I’m feeling a very lucky man tonight!”

Kate couldn’t help but blush. Liam chuckled. He was relieved. The downside of being rich and famous was girls throwing themselves at him. Most of the time, when he asked one on a date, he was greeted by a half naked, overly painted creature he was ashamed to be with. He was glad that Kate was wearing sensible and elegant clothing, with just a touch of make up, showing off her beautiful eyes and plump lips.

“Shall we go?”

Kate nodded, locked her door and stepped to his side, linking arms with him.

“Where are we going?”

“Well, all the restaurants are packed and noisy tonight, so I thought we could have dinner at my place, there is a nice sea view…”

She considered the offer, then nodded:

“Sounds good, where do you live?”

“About twenty minutes walk uphill, does it bother you?”

“Not in the slightest”, she answered, thanking her good star for the pumps.

Liam pulled a sad face:

“It’s a pity, I was looking forward to carrying you…”

“Don’t flatter yourself, I might be heavier than you think”, she joked in return.

Twenty flirty minutes later, they were entering a medium sized house, cut in the slope of the hill above the town, facing southwest. Kate stalled for an instant, admiring the intricate carvings on the doorframe, four dragons entwined together. The chiselling was so expertly done, it was breathtaking. The beasts seemed alive, frozen in stone.

“Who made that? It’s marvellous!”

“You like it? I couldn’t find anything original for my door, so I-euh-gave it a go…”

He sounded a bit shy, embarrassed.

“Are you sculpting too? I thought your material was clay!”

“It was just a trial really, nothing to be bragging about… Why don’t you get in?”

Dropping the subject, Kate stepped in the hall…only to freeze, gawking. On her right were wooden stairs climbing to the first floor, with a door beside them and a cupboard under. But the sight on her left, along the hillside, was unbelievable. A straight, white walled corridor, that went on forever. This house was like an iceberg, the street side being the emerged part.