1.3 | Life Lessons

Sapphire

I get up from my seat and walk to the front of the class, turning in my worksheet to the teacher. "Thank you, Ms. Adams."

I nod my head at him and go back to my desk. Taking out my notebook, I begin to doodle random shapes and squiggles, in a phase of boredom.

A few moments later, I sense Ian getting up from his desk and I turn to see him turn in his completed worksheet. I raise an eyebrow at him when he walks back to his desk and he smirks at me, sending me a wink before he takes his seat again.

With a shrug, I look back down at my notebook and continue to draw whatever-it-is-I'm-drawing.

The sound of the bell ringing startles me and I snap my head up, watching half of the class already at the door. I quickly pack up my things and follow them out of the classroom.

I make my way to my locker and put in my combination, shoving my books in it and taking out the ones for my next class. Shutting my locker again, I turn around and let out a squeak of surprise when I bump into someone. "I'm sorry, excuse me."

I step around him and begin to walk away, before I freeze. Wait a minute...

Why did I apologize? He was in my way.

I turn around and narrow my eyes at Ian as he still stands in front of my locker.

"Next time, turn your head in the direction you're planning to go, before you actually take a step forward — Life lesson of the day."

I give him a blank stare, before I turn back around and take another step forward ... bumping into someone else, a girl this time.

"Watch where you're going!" She complains as her book goes crashing down to the ground. I bend down to grab it for her and give her a quick apology as I hand it back to her, before walking at a fast pace to my next class.

I hear Ian's laughter over the many voices speaking in the hallway.

"Life lesson, babe. Remember the life lesson of the day!"

* * * *

"Ash Wednesday!" Gloria cheers as she rubs her dirty thumb across my forehead and I groan.

"Glo, come on," I whine. "I just finished wiping off the red you smeared on me!"

She laughs, picking up the black chalk again and continues to glide it across her paper. I watch as her night sky is starting to come along and smile, before I look down at mine and frown.

"How are you so good at this? Mine just looks like a sick dragon sneezed on my paper."

She laughs beside me. "Aw, it's not that bad." She offers, giving me a smirk. "It looks more like, 'a five year old can do better than that'."

I smack my hand down hard on her thigh, forcing out a sharp cry from her lips.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Is everything okay, girls?" Our art teacher questions from the front of the class and we both turn our heads in her direction.

"Yes, miss." We both quickly reply, giving her reassuring smiles.

She narrows her eyes slightly at us, before nodding her head and looking back down at her laptop.

I snicker as I rub the chalk into my paper with my finger, grabbing a blue color and mixing it into the areas where I want it to look a bit brighter. Looking down at it after I'm done, I smile in satisfaction.