Chapter-16

I don't know how long I slept the next morning but I was reasonably sure that it had been a while. Long enough for someone to stick a white post-it note on my forehead. I scowled and tore the note from my face.

Julian, Elizaveta and I are going out to contact Shah and to avoid talking to you. Stay out of trouble. Don't blow up this restaurant. You have my number in case something goes wrong. Remember our chat from last night? Make sure nothing goes wrong.
-Kai.
PS: Freshen up. You stink.

I surreptitiously smelled my hair. He had a point there. After minutes of yawning and stretching, I hauled myself out of bed. I brushed my teeth and changed into the same dress I'd bought at the gas station.

My hair looked like roadkill but I did the best I could. The brilliant crimson that usually streaked my hair with looked dull. I combed through it using my fingers. Clumps of red hair fell loose, letting my natural black hair show. Dark circles rimmed my eyes and even my skin had lost its lustre.

I needed to dye my hair again. Maybe I'll try another color. I've had enough of red to last a lifetime. Maybe blue would look better. Unfortunately the red of my tattoo would stay with me forever.

When I'd gotten the tattoo, Arianna was... displeased. I streaked my hair red in rebellion to match the fiery wings of the kestrel on my shoulder. The tattoo itself wasn't exactly a work of art, more like a constant reminder that I'm crazy when drunk.

Arianna. I missed her so damn much.

I needed new underwear which I had fortunately packed. I dumped the pair I was wearing in the trashcan, they had served their purpose anyway. The motel was kind enough to supply some soap and a small toothbrush kit. My stomach growled. Food, I needed food.

Kai had told me to stay out of trouble but what could possibly go wrong at the buffet? Looks like I was going to find out.

I picked up a chocolate cupcake and some water. The cupcakes tasted like sawdust but the meat of the bacon looked...suspicious.

"Hello, is this seat taken?" A man asked. I looked up, ready to tell him to eff the fuck off but I stopped. He was cute. He had messy brown hair and bright blue eyes.

"Sure!" I smiled. It wasn't everyday that cute guys spoke to me nicely.

"How is the cupcake?" He asked, taking a sip of his coffee. He had a really nice smile.

"Tastes like dirt," I said truthfully. "But I suspect the bacon is not bacon."

"For all you know the chocolate might actually be dirt," he said.

"Still chocolate," I shrugged. He nodded as if my logic made perfect sense. I instantly liked him.

"And at the end, that's all that matters," he joked.

"What's your name?" I asked him.

"Special Agent Jacob Evans, but you can call me Jake," he smiled and sipped his coffee.

Damn, I really had a knack for picking up hot yet mentally fucked up guys in restaurants, didn't I?

Crap.

I laughed. "Sure Jake. Nice to meet you, I'm the Queen of England!"

"Hello, Kestrel Seran," he said.

FML.

He knew my name. I was already figuring out that when people knew your name they either want to kill you or they want to kill you painfully. Maybe I can get more information out of him. We're in a public place. He could hardly stop me from making a call. I had to call either Kai or Elizaveta.