On.

" Get up, I'm not going to tell you again! " my father yelled, frantically rushing through the house. I sat up, rubbing my eyes.

" What's the problem now? " my mother asked. I chuckled at her tacky cheetah print gown.

" They've found us, and we have to leave. " he told her. From the look on her face, she was not happy.

" Nelson, I've told you about bringing that shit back to my house. The children and I just got settled, and now you're telling us to leave? "

The sound of bullets continuously sounded off, and you could hear them destroying the house. The glass of the windows broke, and there were holes in some of the walls. We all, without words, got up and packed everything that we could. As the bullets continued to shred the walls, we hurried out of the back door, crowding inside of the car. My father quickly pulled off, leaving the yard.

" Is everyone okay? Do you have everything? " my mother asked us, turning around to the backseat.

" Don't worry about it, I'll replace it. " he told us, reaching in the glove compartment. " Here, this is who you are now. "

He tossed the small booklets at us. We opened them, looking at our pictures and new identification.

" What type of name is Gladys? " my sister complained.

The gunshots sounded again, breaking the back window. We all ducked our heads, hearing my father shoot back at them, turning a few corners. The gunshots faded, and the car started to slow down.

" What's going on? " my mother asked.

" We're switching cars, let's go! We don't need to be late. " he demanded. We didn't argue, we all gathered our things, getting into the minivan, and driving off.

We pulled up to the airport a few minutes later, going inside to check in. Our flight didn't leave until an hour from now, so we were just stuck to sit there.

" Hey, we're going off to get you guys something to eat. Do not move. " my father told us, and we all nodded. He and my mother got up, walking off.

" What do you think happened this time? " Drew asked Tia and I.

" Ain't no telling. He's always fucking something up. " she chuckled, bobbing her head to her music.

My phone beeped, and it was a notification from my calendar. June Bug's Graduation. I groaned, thinking about everything that just happened, and me promising him that I would be there. I got up, inching away and dialing his number.

Let me guess, you're calling to tell me that you can't make it?

Bug, my family is in deep shit right now. We're having to leave, and all that!

Damn, you're willing to come up with a lie that big? If you don't want to come, just say so.

I don't know what hurts me most: the fact that I'll miss sending you off, or the fact that you think I'd lie about some shit like this?

Deon, just forget it.

He hung up the phone, quickly. I shook my head, sighing deeply. I walked back to my seat, sitting down.

" I bet that was Bug, and he's upset because you're not coming. " Tia stated.

" You already know it. He has the audacity to say that I'm lying about what just happened. " I told her. Drew scoffed.

" I'm telling you, this dude likes you. Ya'll are more than best friends, well in his head. " Drew added.

" For the last time, he doesn't like me like that. " I argued. Drew raised his eyebrow, signifying that he wasn't going to argue with me.

They called our flight just as our parents returned. We walked to the gate, boarding the plane and taking our seats. I looked at my mother, and she wouldn't stop shaking. I could tell that she was stressing out, and it was getting worse.

" Winny, I know you're stressed out, but I have this under control. When we get settled in Mississippi, we'll drive down to New Orleans. " he told her. Her mood instantly changed, and she looked up at him.

" You mean that? "

" That's a promise! Me, you, and the kids. Enjoying ourselves. " he kissed her forehead, and she lied her head on his chest. He looked at me, exhaling, and nodding.

I was awakened by Tia shaking me, vigorously. I swung at her, stretching as she laughed. We grabbed our luggage, getting off the plane and heading outside. There were two cars that were parked.

" Now look, I'm taking one car, and I want you to take the other one, D. " my father told me.

" A damn shame that these hoes still can't drive. " I mumbled. My mother popped me upside my head.

" Watch that mouth, boy. Let's go. " she said.