"Too late," - by @bookies16

this is the one shot that got third place on my writing contest! Go check out bookies16 and follow her;D

  She was beautiful, stunning, out of this world. Yet, she wasn't mine. She was someone else's. Some far much better than me.

Nathanaël was lucky to have a girl like her. After painting a work of art for her, she fell head-over-heals for the red head. Leaving me to regret not asking her sooner.

And I regret that every. Single. Day. So many chances, so many chances to ask her to be my partner, girlfriend, lover, and I failed. The ways I could have asked her where endless. Take her to her favourite ice cream parlour. Take her to a movie. Take her for a walk in the park. I even could have just asked her a school.

But no, stupid me had to hesitate every time, and leave her open to every other men that could sweep her off her feet with one look.

"Adrein?" A voice, her voice, asks beside me as I stare into space thinking about how I lost her.

I look over at her, my usual fake smile on my face and confident look. "Yeah?"

She gives me a smile before a concerned look covers her features, "are you okay? You've been staring into space for the last 5 minutes".

I nod and lean back on the bench, the wood making me even colder in the wonder air. "Yeah, completely fine".

Lies.

"Anyways", she says getting back to her cheery, adorable self. "Me and Nath are going on a date tonight to see that new movie. I was wondering if you could help me decide what to wear, since Alya is out with Nico at that convention out of town for his mix tape".

No, I couldn't. Helping her choose an outfit that she shouldn't even be thinking about. Think about how great her date is going to be and how sweet and funny and cool Nath is going to be. But, I couldn't say no to her. No matter how hard I tried.

"Sure, it's gotta be quick though. My dad wants me home for another photoshoot" I tell her as I take a glance at my watch.

"Great! Come on!" She shouts, dragging me up too my feet.

My hand erupts into tingles and makes my stomach do backflips.

Just think Adrien, you would have been able to feel this all day if you had enough courage. Too late.

I scowl as the small voice inside my mind is right. Right about not having courage. About loosing her. About being too late. Too late to have her. Even if she and Nath broke up I ship wouldn't have enough courage to ask her. Besides, she deserves someone better than me.

Much, better than me.

Time skip

"Thank you Adrien! I'll see you Monday at school!" She shouts as her and Nath leave for there date.

I smile back at her, a smile that has some genuineness in, yet was till a mask to cover the pain. The pain that's haunted me to the day he asked her. Asked the most beautiful girl in the world out and she said yes.

I sulk as I walk home. The night getting gloomier by the second, making it even more depressing. The streets empty from any sign of live, since most people are at home, with loved ones in a cold day in winter.

Small snowflakes start to descend from the sky as I turn the last comer to get home. Well, even if you can call it home. A father that has no time for you, even to say goodbye in the mornings. Almost like he's avoiding you whilst his secretary gives you all the messages from him too you. Like he's not even sure if the effort is worth it, worth talking to his own son. His only son.

I open the door to be greeted by Nathalie. Her slim tight face staring down at me. Her usual attire adding too the glumness of the house. Her glances pushed so far up her nose that they may as well be glued to her. A clip board in her right hand and a pen in her right, pointing straight at me.

"Adrien, you missed your photoshoot. Your father is very disappointed". As always. "He has told me that you will be going to bed straight away when you got home. You are grounded for a week as well. You knew how important this photoshoot was" she tells me as she writes something down.

I nod, not saying a word before walking up the stairs. The only noise in the house mine and Nathalie's footsteps as she walks back into my fathers office.

I open the door to be greeted by a quite room. A room that has very thing a boy would dream off, yet I didn't want any of it. The computers, the rock climbing wall, the 100's of books, the skating ramps. Nothing. Cause it didn't have any value to me. Nothing dos anymore.

I sigh as tears start to escape my eyes, I walk over to my bed and pull out my phone. A photo of me and Marinette on my 17th birthday. She was smiling with her arms wrapped around my waist, her face pushed against my chest as my arm wraps around her shoulder, the other holding the phone.

"I'm so stupid" I mumble as a tear drops into the stupid phone. "I waited too long, and lost her!" I shout as I throw my phone at the wall in anger. I shove my face into my hands and shake my head.

"Too late..."