Chapter Forty-Two: Before The Goodbye.

I'm always missing you.

*****

"Look at you, the Yoko Ono of this generation." He pats me on the shoulder in a congratulatory fashion, and I literally cringe at the thought.

"Shut up!" I say between gritted teeth as I smack his hand away, looking over my shoulder towards the kitchen door. "What if he hears you? I don't want him to know that I tell you these things."

"Well, is not like I don't expect you to do that."

His voice comes from the very same spot I looked at seconds ago and I can hear my neck cracking when I turn my head around. He stands under the threshold, hair dripping tiny beads of water and his eyes glimmering with amused cheekiness.

I try to open my mouth to say something redeeming about my behavior, but there is something about the way his black T-shirt clings to his damped skin, showing off the muscles of his chest and stomach, that simply leaves me speechless.

"Besides..." He continues, as he rakes his fingers through his hair and walks over to the table. "It wasn't Yoko's fault, really."

He pulls a chair to take a seat after planting a chaste kiss on the tip of my nose, suddenly shy at the fact that both Jasper and I can't seem to tear our eyes from his glorious, wet self.

"Really?" I say, covertly elbowing my roommate to snap him out of his fascination. "Tell that to the millions of fans that are still crying about the break up."

A soft chuckle escapes his lips as he reaches for the cup of coffee Jasper hands over to him.

"No, thank you." He says, shaking his head. "I prefer my arms and legs attached to my body."

"Good. So do I."

And with that, I manage to maneuver my graceful way out of a situation I still don't know how I got myself into.

I mean, can you imagine the hell that would befall upon my head if he would ever leave the band because of me? I would have to flee the planet if I want to keep breathing.

"Okay, I'm off." Jasper announces, loudly putting the breakfast dishes on the sink without even bothering to at least pour some hot water on them. "See you guys later?"

"Actually, I'm leaving tonight." Harry says in response, although his eyes are on me as he talks, and the air suddenly feels thick and impossible to draw in.

How is it possible to be so aware of how little time you have, and yet feel so blindsided by it? Deep in the back corner of my mind I knew today was his last day in the city, but it took him actually saying the words for me to really grasp it.

"Oh, okay..." Jasper mutters with his gaze also directed at me, and I quickly look away to stare at my half finished plate. "Well, have a good trip then. And I hope to see you again soon."

I look at them again when I hear Harry standing up and meeting Jasper for a short hug and a few slaps on the back.

The goodbye is awkward, to say the least. Like they want to do it properly and heartfelt but they can't seem to get it over with fast enough.

And before my mind begins to wander towards how our goodbye will be like, we are left in silence and alone.

"What now?" He pierces through my thoughts, and I look up at him.

"Now we brace ourselves for impact."

*****

Ground rules for the Lea Matheson - Harry Styles long distance relationahip as it follows: