Chapter Thirty: Tidal pools

A/N: I've made changes to the end of chapter twenty-nine in the scene between Cordelia and Indigo, so be sure to check that out!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wednesday turned out to be a great day to go to the beach. After school they split up the group so half of the group rode in Mike's SUV, and the other half rode in Hailey's mom's minivan.

And Cordelia wound up in the backseat of the SUV, sandwiched between Kyle and Cal, with a pretty italian exchange student named Gia sitting in the passenger seat, laughing and flirting with Mike.

While Mike put the moves on Gia, the backseat was awkwardly silent for the first fifteen minutes of the drive. Kyle had openly shared his dislike and distrust of Cal, and it was impossible to tell whether or not Cal knew. Cal certainly didn't seem uncomfortable.

"I'm really happy you could come today Cord, we weren't sure whether or not your mom would let you come." Kyle finally broke the silence, blatantly ignoring Cal in the process.

Eleanor had refused when Cordelia first brought it up. Normally, she would have no problem letting Cordelia stay out late with friends, but ever since the accident, she'd been alot more jumpy and on edge. It was only after Cordelia promised she'd stay safe, stay sober, and be home by eight that Eleanor relented.

"Glad to be here." She smiled politely.

Out of the corner of her eye, Cordelia caught Cal quirk a brow, and Kyle pretended to just have noticed Cal.

"You too Cal. I was surprised to see you this afternoon, but it's nice that someone thought to invite you." Kyle added, with a feign smile.

Kyle's fake attempt at friendliness seemed to amuse Cal. "It is isn't it? That my girlfriend invited me to hang out with her friends." Cal taunted with a twinkle in his eyes as he put emphasis on the word girlfriend, and friends.

"Great we're in agreement. We're all happy to be here." Cordelia blurted out in an attempt to dissipate the tension.

In that moment, Cordelia had a feeling that if she could smell testoserone she would find it very hard to breathe in the backseat of that SUV.

Mike overheard that last part of their conversation, and so he budded in like, "Hell yeah, i'm punped!"  Just as he pulled up to the beach.

The mile-long crescent of the beach was familiar to everyone but Cal and Gia. The familiarity didn't change the fact that is was still breathtaking. The water was dark grey, even in the sunlight, heaving to the rocky shore. The beach had only a thin border of actual sand on the water's edge, it's tide line strewn with huge driftwood trees, bleached bone white in the salt waves. There was a brisk wind coming off the waves that made Cordelia grateful she'd brought a windbreaker.

They picked their way down to the beach, Cordelia and Cal purposefully trailing behind.

"Girlfriend?" Cordelia repeated in a teasing manner, as she interlaced their fingers.

"Would you prefer a different title?" Cal asked, with a smirk that managed to be charming.

"Mmm...what about confidante? Or flame. No gal pal. Your plus-one? No. Your arm candy." She replied, adding on to her answer as she spoke.

"Too bad I happen to like the sound of girlfriend." He purred.

The corner of her mouth involuntary quirked upwards before a full on smile was plastered on her face.