Chapter 4 - Lunch

I slept more than I've worked in the last week. The days at the Fan Con left me exhausted. I made a report of the event sales and felt content about it. It will be worth repeating the next year.

I'm looking forward to the Sunday lunch. My mom is an excellent cook and always finds ways to make the occasion special. We meet at my parents once a month to catch up and enjoy a meal. It will also be great to see my nephews.

I park the car and see that the rest have arrived already. There is also a brand new car that I don't recognize, and that must belong to my sister. I open the door and the mixed noise of children, the TV and voices greet me.

"Hey, Nina," my dad greets me from his comfortable chair.

"Hey. How is the foot doing?" I say, motioning with my head to bandaged foot resting on the Ottoman.

"Much better,"

I see Elijah in the dining room with John holding his leg and Peter on his back choke holding him. My brother is laughing, but it looks painful.

"I've learned my lesson. Those two are a menace," Dad says with a chuckle.

Last weekend, when I was away, my parents were babysitting the boys. They took them to a mini golf course and Dad's foot got accidentally whacked by John with a golf club.

"Bullshit. You would do it again," I say to my dad, making him laugh.

"Without a doubt," he says.

I head to the kitchen and the boys spot the bag in my hand.

"What did you get us?" John says.

"A bag of poop each," I say while their faces contort with disgust. "This is actually for your baby brother,"

"Oh men, that's not fair! He is still in my mom's belly," John complains.

"Hey, I got you presents already," Lisa says as she joins us.

"You got us clothes," Peter whines.

"Those were designer outfits," she says in an offended voice.

"Don't be ungrateful," Elijah says. "Your aunties think of you two often. Those clothes were nice and expensive,"

The boys roll their eyes as I hand the bag to my sister in law Dotty. She gives me a tired smile. The poor thing is due soon.

"This is so adorable Nina. Thank you so much!" Dotty says, lifting the Batman onesie for everyone to see.

"They only buy clothes," I hear John say as they go back to the living room. Little prick.

We all head to the kitchen to help my mom and catch up on the latest.

"Is the new car outside yours?" I ask my sister.

"It's my engagement present! Can you believe it? Benji got it for me,"

"Is he joining us?" I ask as I count the place settings. Seven. We are missing one set if the boys are eating with us instead of in front of the TV.

"Unfortunately no. The poor thing has to shoot a swimsuit special," Lisa says, looking a bit sad.

I go to the kitchen to bring the food to the table and see Dotty serving the boys' lunch in plastic plates. The doorbell rings and I head to answer it. A pale guy is standing outside. He looks nervous and a bit lost.

 He looks nervous and a bit lost

"Can I help you?" I ask.

"Is this Mrs. Cox's house?"

"Yeah. Mom! It's for you!" I yell to the kitchen.

My mom comes and beams at the sight of the guy.

"Oh, I see that you've met Axel," my mom says to me. "Come in. We are about to begin," she says, holding the guy by his arm and escorting him.

We all take our places at the table, and Axel sits next to me as instructed by my mom. I grab a serving spoon and pile my plate high with food. The rest of my family does as well. Axel... not so much. Maybe he is not a big eater like us.

The conversation continues, and I feel sorry for the guy. He hasn't said a word and keeps rubbing his hands on his pants.

"Hey Axel, how do you know my mom?" I say in a friendly tone.

"We work together at the gourmet market. I'm the assistant manager. Mrs. Cox told me to come by for lunch and that she has a single daughter. Is that you?" he says, looking up and down at me.

No way. No fucking way!

"Mom? Is there something that you want to tell me?"

Mom gives me a sheepish smile. The rest of the family turns their attention to our interaction.

"Well, Axel is fantastic to work with and is single. He is good looking, and I thought that if you get to know him better, you might like him,"

I don't know what is my mom's interpretation of good looking, but the guy next to me looks like a piece of sweaty chalk.

"This needs to stop. I have tried. You all have set me up with someone already," I say, looking around the table.

"Nina, I just think that you don't try hard enough," Lisa says. "All you do is spend your time surrounded by toys,"

"That is not true. I also hang out with Taylor," I say defensively.

"For whom you don't have feelings. That is potentially a deal breaker if you meet a guy," Elijah says.

"What does Taylor have to do with this?"

"You can't expect a man to hang around you when your best friend is a guy," Elijah says while serving himself another food portion.

"Unbelievable! Dad, can you deal with this nonsense?"

"Well..." Dad says, looking hesitant.

"Well, what?"

"You all have a point. Your buddy Taylor is a good looking man. Even though I have no objection to women being friends with men, he could be seen as a threat. I also think that you should enjoy the world a bit more. You work hard and deserve some fun,"

"What are you suggesting then?" I say and fear the answer.

"You should date. Give it your best effort. If it doesn't work, I will make sure that these three leave you in peace," Dad says, pointing with his fork to Mom and my siblings.

"That can take forever! There has to be a limit," I say, noticing that my voice is a pitch higher than normal.

"Ten dates!" Lisa says and looks too excited for my taste.

"Nine! He counts as date number one," I say, pointing at Axel, who looks as if he is going to pass out at any moment.

"Deal!" Lisa says.

Axel shifts uncomfortably in his seat. I feel sorry for him, but I need a way to get rid of my family obsession that I must find a man.

Now, where the hell am I going to find nine dates?