Chapter 43

Content warning: strong language and mature content

Adrenaline rushed through his veins. He was not able to tear his eyes off the pictures. How was this possible? It wasn't an old picture. The gold bangle on her wrist glimmering next to the cuff of the winter jacket clearly indicated that it was a new picture. With eerie calmness, he placed the phone on the desk and leaned back in his chair.

His ragged breathing, heartbeat doubling, eyes misting and his mind was numb. There had to be some explanation of these pictures. The closeness, her loving looks, her immense caring for him...was it all fake? Did their relationship mean nothing to her? He immediately straightened on the office chair and clasped his phone in his fist strongly. He was about to call Nawal when a text message beeped and the vibration of the phone raised the hair on his forearms.

A message from his cousin after more than a year...

Come to my office and you will know.

Moving the mouse of his laptop, he hurriedly switched on the tracking application and went through the calls and texts of her phone for the last month or so. He was astonished. How long this had been going on? How much longer she planned to keep this charade up and never reveal her contact with Daud? He didn't want to believe all this and give her the benefit of the doubt. His heart was bleeding as he dialled her number with trembling fingers.

On the second ring, she answered, "Nawal?"

"Ummm...ya?"

"Where are you?" he asked as his eyes were scanning the map that was showing her location on the laptop screen.

There was silence for a few seconds and then she said in a low tone. "I am actually still in university. I had to go to the library."

His eyes closed in defeat. She was nowhere near her college. She was near the City Centre area. She was lying to him. It hurt badly and deeply. But now was not the time to argue with her about this. Instead, he will do as Daud had said.

"Ok I will see you in the evening then." He whispered and before she could reply he ended the call.

Did he have the courage to go to Daud's office?

What if he was bluffing? Then why would Nawal lie? He sought truth and he would go. He was strong enough to face whatever adversary that would come his way and would be able to leave the place unscathed.

But the events of that day were to be marred in his memory forever and altering his relationship with Nawal for the worse...

****
She hated lying to Salman but she had no other option. Telling him the truth right now was out of the question. She hadn't even revealed any of the past encounters with Daud and these pictures had to be deleted at any cost. She clutched her phone tightly as she gazed out the bus window. Just a couple of hours and she would get rid of this torment. She would tell Daud there was no point of keeping any kind of relationship when she was pregnant. She rather wanted to focus on her apparent motherhood and her bonding with Salman.

A small smile lingered on her lips as she remembered how he had been joking earlier in the morning. Bikini? Really? She had never seen him this naughty before. It was a wonderful change and she liked this side of her husband. No not like. She had passed that stage. She was well aware she was slowly falling for him. Tonight no matter what she will disclose about her pregnancy to him. By then, Daud would have left her life and she would be completely Salman's. Only his.

But right now, there were more pressing issues to consider. Why was Daud calling her at his office? What more did he want? He had betrayed her by taking those pictures. He had played with her trust. What was the difference between him and Salman now? At least Salman never threatened her with the pictures or even once gave hints that he had any kind of pictures. But Daud... he had crossed all limits.