Chapter 34

Sorry for the wait! I didn't mean to delay the upload but a lot of things happened and there are so many stuff that I need to accomplish so, please understand. But here it is...

Dedicated to MikelaP . I know you've been waiting for this. :)

Hope it's worth the wait. Enjoy!

*********************************************************

Chapter 34

Vince:

I rushed straight home after driving Elaine to her place. After what happened to her in the trip, I couldn’t help it but to want to watch over her – not that I wanted to do it whole-heartedly but because I feel guilty, or at least try to avoid the guilt feeling if that thing ever happen again.

It was almost sunset when I got home. The place was so quiet – probably because Maddie and the other house helper were preparing dinner. But, that’s not like it. I feel like there is something wrong in here – some feeling of heaviness.

I started walking upstairs. And there, I found Liz. She got home earlier than me and she was standing beside the table at the far end of the hall, holding a phone in her hand. I can say that she was talking with someone over the phone. And they were talking about some serious thing.

“Okay. We’ll be right there. Bye.” She said and put the phone down.

She turned and saw me. Our eyes met for a second but I looked away. I can’t still have the guts to face her after what happened in the trip.

One thing I noticed about her is the unusual stillness with the way she looked at me.

Stuttering, I excused myself. “Uhm – I – uh – I’m going to bed. Good night.”

But before I could walk inside my room, she spoke. “We have to go.”

“Go where?” I asked. My forehead creased in confusion.

“Just – “ She trailed off. Before she continues, she took a deep breath. “Just go with me.”

“O-kay.”

This must be something important, or serious. Because knowing Liz, she wouldn’t ask me to go with her without any reason. So, I followed her lead to my car.

“Give me your keys.” She commanded.

I reached for my pocket and took out my keys. She held out her hands waiting for me to hand her my car keys. I was about to hand the keys when I took it back. “Do you even know how to drive?”

“I wouldn’t ask for your keys if I didn’t.”

I nodded. “Right. Just – asking.”

She held out her hand more wide open. “Keys.”

To be honest, I don’t want her to drive. Not because I don’t trust her ‘driving skills’, it’s just that – well, I’m sure she’s tired from the trip. So I suggested, “Why don’t you just tell me where we’re going and let me drive?”

“No.” she said looking down. “I can’t tell you. At least not now. Now hand me those.”

Though I hesitated, I still followed what she said.

We both entered the car and I sat on the passenger seat. Her eyes were focused on the road as I stared at her. I can’t tell what she’s thinking of. I can’t exactly tell how she looks – it’s a mix of worry and …fear? But…what is she afraid of?