Chapter Seventeen

Effie sat in her room messing around with the stuffed animals on her bed waiting for the sun to go down. She grew bored instantly after Linsey left. She tried reaching out with her mind for spirits to talk too, but she could never find anyone. Even Patricia didn't come. 

For the first time since she met Patricia, Effie wished she would show up. She missed talking to her and hearing her stories of her past life. She regrets not listening to her and regrets not taking her advice. 

Effie laid her head in her hands. She really needed some of Patricia's advice right now. 

"You called?" Patricia said from beside her.

Effie lifted her head quickly. "Patricia! I'm so sorry that I didn't listen to you! I'm so sorry I never took anything seriously!"

Patricia touched Effie's shoulder to stop her rambling. "It's alright, Effie. I was just hoping to keep you from here as long as possible. If I'm being honest, you would've been sent here anyway."

"What do you mean?"

Patricia sighed. "You're parents would've started to listen to your Doctor and would eventually send you here. I'm sorry. This is just how your life has planned itself out."

Effie shook her head. She assumed that eventually, her parents would not know what to do, but she hoped that she was wrong. She's starting to believe and figure out that she shouldn't wish for things to happen anymore. 

"I'm going to die here," she spoke into her hands. "Aren't I?"

Patricia sighed again. "Yes, but you can prevent it."

"How?" Effie looked up hopefully at Patricia.

"Escape."

Effie shook her head. "No. There's no way that I could escape from this place. If there was a way to escape then why didn't you and Linsey escape when you could?"

Patricia's eyes widened. "You met Linsey?"

"Yes," Effie nodded her head quickly. "But don't change the subject! Why didn't you escape?"

Patricia looked down at her hands and shook her head. "Because I didn't know better. I was like you, Effie. Strong-headed and strong willed. I believed that I could fool the people here and get out as soon as possible. But I was wrong. Looking back on my life, I saw that I was crazy in the head. Only the voices in my head made sense to me. The only person I talked to was Linsey and half of the time I wouldn't listen to her advice. I wish I did." She sighed and took a deep breath before standing up. "I hope your future isn't the same as mine. Good luck, Effie."

Before Effie could say anything else, Patricia walked away and disappeared from her sight.