four

Xael

"What?" Both Ethan and I exclaimed upon hearing the conditions.

"Mom. Aren't there other options?" Ethan asked his mom, frustration lacing his features.

"Either sign the contract, or you'll have to provide for yourself," Mrs Ford replied.

"Same for you too Xael," my mom told me with a small frown on her forehead.

"I'll sign it," I resigned. I wasn't ready to provide for myself, yet. College life is hectic enough, and I doubt that a part time job would be able to cover my school fees.

"Me too," Ethan muttered before walking out of the room.

"Excellent," Mrs Ford exclaimed, clasping both her hands together. "I'll prepare the contract then?" Mrs Ford addressed my parents and they nodded. "Thanks, I'm looking forward to being in-laws," my mother said smiling.

The parents then sat down and chatted over some tea while I was left pondering where Ethan had gone to.

"Excuse me, I'll go outside for some fresh air," I excused myself before making my way to the garden.

Ethan

I was pacing in the garden and enjoying the chilly, night breeze when I heard footsteps. I groaned in frustration. Why couldn't they leave me alone?

I didn't want an arranged marriage. Who would want to get married at 19? And to a random girl whom I just met a few hours ago?

She was pretty, sure, but she's just another spoilt, rich brat. I know I shouldn't judge a book by the cover but that's my first impression of her.

Spoilt girls aren't my type at all. They're just plain annoying.

I heard a gasp from behind me and turned around to see the girl that I was thinking about. Xael.

"Sorry," she murmured in a low voice before turning around. I frowned. What's she sorry for?

"Aah," a scream came from her as I saw her slip on the wet ground. I didn't know what came over me but I broke her fall by catching her and in the end, we ended up on the ground with her on top of me.

Her eyes were shut tightly as I peered at her. She had dark, wavy hair which framed her small face, a straight nose and soft, pink lips.

Xael's eyes fluttered open and by the width of it, I could sense that she was shocked. We stared at each other for a moment before I decided to ruin the moment with a smirk.

"Are you lost in my eyes?" I teased and her eyes widened even further.

"I..I sorry," she apologised again before standing up. Just when I thought that she would leave, she reached a hand out. My brows shot up. "Come on, get up," she urged with a little smile and I took her hand as she pulled me up.

"Thanks," we both said at the same time and she scratched her neck sheepishly while I let out an amused smile.

Maybe. Just maybe, I misjudged her.

Xael

Did I misjudge him? Maybe Ethan wasn't as bad as I thought. He caught me and broke my fall previously. I didn't expect that.

The Ford family had left and I was back in my room thinking about the events of that day when my Skype ringtone rang.

It must be Ava and Zoey. I walked over to my laptop and seeing their names on the screen confirmed my thoughts.

I accepted the call to hear them excitedly bombarding me questions about the meeting with the Fords.

"Calm down guys, I'll answer your questions one by one," I laughed and Ava immediately asked, "Firstly, on a scale of 1 to 10, how's the son?"

Her question brought a little smile to my face. "Maybe an 8?"

"Woah, that's pretty high, but where did that 2 go?" Zoey asked. I pondered over her question. "No idea, I just feel that he's an 8."

"Is he hot?" Ava asked and I nodded. "Pretty good looking." "How's his personality?" Zoey enquired.

"I don't know. He does seem nice sometimes," I shrugged.

"Sometimes?" They both looked confused. "When I first met him, he seemed kinda scary, but after that, he did save me from a fall," I told them.

They nodded before asking about the arranged marriage.

I then told them about how both Ethan and I refused and about the contract.

"What? You have to live with him?" Ava exclaimed, shock etched in her features. I nodded, "or else my mom will not provide for me anymore."

"Wow...but you're her only daughter, will she really be that harsh on you?" Zoey asked with a frown and I shrugged. "I don't know, but I rather not risk it."

After chatting for a little while more about random stuff, I ended the call as my mother came into my room.

"Xael dear, please clear out your schedule for tomorrow, we're going to look at wedding gowns," my mother told me and my eyes widened, "that quickly?"

She nodded with a smile. "Mrs Ford and I would like to settle the marriage as soon as possible." "Why the rush?" I asked.

My mother had a little frown on her face as she said, "well...Mrs Ford would like you to tame her son."

"What?" I asked, unsure of what she meant. "Mrs Ford thinks that you'll be able to change Ethan, you'll know soon." My mother left it at that as she left my room after bidding me goodnight.

Tame Ethan? What's wrong with him that I have to change him?

These are the thoughts in my head as I drifted off to sleep that night.