Four: Daddy Issues

After a speedy ride in Zack's black Dodge Charger, we arrived at the park. The pathways were dotted with soccer moms fast walking and kids running around in the wide open grassy area.

     I could already see Sophia making friends here. I could also see her making fun of the other kids' clothes, but I can work on that.

     "So how do you know about this park?" I asked Zack as we walked the stone path around the area.

     "I come to check out the hot moms every once in a while." He casually said. His attitude was starting to become predictable. I just had to roll with it.

     "Let me guess. You try and flirt with them but get shut down for being an ass?" If he wanted to be a sleazeball then so could I.

     "Actually, I brighten their day." He corrected me.

     I rolled my eyes and mumbled, "Whatever you say."

     He turned to me as we walked and asked with a hint of challenge behind his voice. "Oh what? You don't believe me?" He crossed his arms and stopped walking.

     "Believe it or not, I don't," I said with fake surprise in my voice.

     "And why is that, Hot Stuff?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

     Ignoring the awful nickname, I told him about himself. "For starters, the air around you radiates with arrogance. Girls don't like that." I informed him. "You give us ridiculous and slightly rude nicknames," I said, referencing to what he calls me. "And, in general, you are not a good example for kids." I finished off.

     "In my defense, you are the only one I've given a nickname." He started. I was about to ask why but he kept talking. "And why does it matter if I'm a good influence on kids?" He asked like it didn't matter.

     When he asked me this, I was actually worried about his awareness. He knew he was talking to mothers, right? I'd hope they cared about his influence on their kids.

     "You do know who you're talking to, right?" I asked him.

     "Yeah, hot moms." He reiterated.

     "Moms that care about their children, I'm sure," I explained to him. "Moms don't want some conceited jerk being an influence on their precious babies."

     He thought about my point but only shrugged. "My behavior hasn't affected my chances yet." He defended.

     I rolled my eyes and continued walking. He was a lost cause to convince.

     The park was fairly large. There's plenty of grassy areas perfect for running around. We passed a small playground occupied by children and there was even an ice cream truck driving its way around the park. I could take Sophia here for a picnic one day.

     Zack pointed out where kids played the most and where the moms usually sat and watched. We walked a few of the paths that thread throughout the park and past several climbable trees.

     Suddenly, my phone buzzed. I pulled it out of my pocket to see one of my alarms going off. It was the reminder to pick up Sophia from school. Shit.

     "We gotta go. Like, now." I told Zack, turning around to head back to his car.

     "Why?" He asked, confused but speed walking next to me.

     "I've gotta pick Sophia up from school," I explained. "And there is no way she is riding in your car."

     "What's wrong with my car?" He complained.