Se.

" How was school, baby? " my mother asked me as I walked into the kitchen.

" It went well. " I kissed her cheek. " My debate teacher invited me to State towards the end of the school year. "

" Deon, that's great! " she hugged me, rocking me lightly. My father walked into the kitchen, looking disappointed. " What's wrong, Nelson? "

" I just got a call from a good friend of mine, and they said that our house burnt down. " he told us.

" What? " I was in disbelief.

" Yes, I don't know who did it, but I'm pissed. There were things that we were supposed to be getting, and now they're gone. " my father leaned over onto the island.

" It's okay. " my mother sighed, rubbing his back.

" No, it's not. Winny, I know how much you loved your pictures, and..... "

" Nelson, it's really okay. " she chuckled. " All of my babies are here, we're taking a trip this weekend, and I'm happy. " My dad smiled at her, kissing her on the lips.

I walked to my room, remembering that June Bug had called me. I called him back, hoping that he would pick up. I almost cried when he did.

Deon?

Jay, I am so sorry about everything.......

No, I should be doing the apologizing. I should've never blown up like that, it wasn't right.

You had every right to be upset......

Deon, stop trying to right my wrongs. I came at you wrong, and I'm sorry.

Apology accepted. How's everything going?

I'm missing you, D. I miss not being able to talk to you, face to face. Everything is good, though. Ya'll okay?

Yeah, I started a new school today.

How you like it?

It's alright. I like my debate class.

You're set, then. When will I see you again?

I don't know, Jay. I'm far away from Cali, and I don't think I'll be returning. You've started college, I'm sure.

Yes, and I'll enjoy it more knowing that I have you back.

You stopped answering my calls.

I know, and I regret it. D, there is something that I've been meaning to get off my chest for a while.

Gosh, Jay, what is it?

There's not a day that goes by without me thinking of you. It kills me because I'll have to start fresh, and I don't want to. I want to make you happy, I want to wake up to that beautiful smile every morning......

Jay, l......

Let me finish, please. I dream about you every night, and it makes me miss you more. Your smooth skin, your curly hair, your eyes, the way you dress, and the way you walk. That walk is viscious. I don't think I'll ever meet someone as confident, caring, but crazy as you.

I laughed. Good luck, Jay, and you know that I'm here.

Forever and always.

I hung up the phone, smiling to myself. I heard a bump on the wall, followed by a low growl.

" How much did you hear, Drew? " I chuckled as he peeked around the corner.

" Enough to say I told you so. " he winced, walking inside of my room. " How did you even miss that? "

" Y'all might not see it, but June Big is hard to read. When it comes to certain things, he won't emote, and he'll leave you guessing. " I explained.

" But he was your best friend, how did you not see through that? " I just shrugged.

" I don't know, Drew. " I replied. " How's the job hunting coming along? "

" I'm glad that you asked me that, I need a ride to my interview tomorrow. It's at four. " he told me.

" I gotchu', brodie. " I smiled and he did the same.

He got up off of my bed, and slowly walked towards the door. I could tell that something was on his mind, but I didn't know if he would open up about it. He stopped, then turned back to me.

" How do you do it? " he started.

" Do what? "

" Stay so confident in a world full of followers? Stay calm and collected in a world full of ignorant people? "

" Trust me, it's not as easy as it seems. " I chuckled. " But when you've gone through what we've gone through, and decide that you're not going to settle for being the underdog, that's when things will get better. You'll see who you are, what you're worth, and what you can do. Your time is coming, Drew. "

" Thank you. " he smirked, walking out of the room.