Twelve

(Iris' P.O.V.)

It was the night of the Yule Ball. Iris' heart had been beating like crazy all day and she didn't think it would ever stop. 

She and Hannah were getting dressed. While she was slightly disappointed that Justin hadn't asked her, Hannah was very excited to be going to the ball with the cute seventh year boy.

"I can't believe he asked me. I mean, I'm only a fourth year, and he's so handsome. He could have gotten so many other girls."

"I think he's the luckiest guy going to the ball tonight." 

"I'm pretty sure that's Cedric." Hannah smirked.

"We're just going as friends, Hannah." Iris sighed.

"But you wish you weren't, don't you? You want to go as more than friends. Do you like him, Iris?"

"I. . .yeah. I've liked him for years. It's pretty obvious, I guess. He's just too oblivious, and it's so frustrating that sometimes I want to wack him over the head with a book."

"I knew it!" Hannah jumped in the air, making weird noises excitedly. "This is so cute. I'm already planning the wedding."

"He doesn't like me back, Hannah." Iris blushed bright red at the thought of her and Cedric getting married.

Hannah's mouth dropped open in a rather unflattering way and then she started laughing. "Have you seen the way he looks at you? I guess not, because you have no idea how he feels. He gives you the freaking puppy dog eyes, girl. Sometimes when he looks at you I'm pretty sure he wants to kiss you until you're breathless. I've seen him stare at you all through Herbology. It's pretty darn cute, but it sorta makes me wanna puke too, because it's too cute."

Iris could feel herself flushing more with each word Hannah said. "Please don't get my hopes up. I don't want them to be bashed into the ground again."

Hannah made a sound of frustration and turned away to finish her makeup.

~~~

Iris glanced at herself in the mirror one last time, hoping that maybe Cedric would see her for more than just his best friend, even if it was only for tonight.

Her makeup was light and girlish. Just a little mascara and some light pink lipstick with a light line of eyeliner. Her dress was light blue and there was a piece of fabric missing so that her waist showed. It flowed all the way down to the floor and she hoped that she wouldn't trip on it. Underneath of it she was wearing simple white sneakers, and she hoped no one noticed. She just couldn't stand wearing heels.

"Come on, Iris. Let's go down and knock Cedric's socks off." Hannah called from the door, and Iris turned to follow her.

~~~

She hoped that she could make it down the stairs without tripping. Even without heels it was pretty dangerous for her. That was why she didn't see the way Cedric looked at her when she appeared at the top of the stairs. She was too busy staring at her feet.

"'Ris, you. . .you look absolutely beautiful. I. . .shall we go? We have to start the first dance." He stuttered.

"I'm ready." She smiled and took his offered arm.

~~~

The music was starting and Iris' stomach was churning. She had to dance with her best friend whom she was completely in love with in front of everyone.

Suddenly, Cedric grabbed her hand and pulled her close, whispering in her ear, "Don't be nervous, I'm right here."

His breath on her ear sent a shiver down her spine and she couldn't think of an answer because all that was running through her mind was, I'm nervous because you're so close to me, Ced.

And then they were dancing, and they were so close. Her heart was pounding in her chest and she hoped no one could hear it. Cedric kept his eyes on her, and they swept around the room oblivious to everyone else. All her eyes saw was him, and she didn't think she could ever look away.

Then the dance was ending, but he didn't move away. "Dance with me again, 'Ris." He whispered, leaning even closer.

She couldn't say no. She didn't want to say no. In fact, she wasn't sure that she could say anything at the moment.

They danced for a while, and then a slow song came on and she started to pull away because slow dancing with your best friend is sort of weird, but he caught her by the waist and pulled her against him again. She put her arms around his neck and swore to herself that she would remember this moment forever.

She could hear Cedric's heartbeat, and it was beating quickly because of the fast dance they had done before. Iris closed her eyes and laid her head against his chest.

When the dance ended and he pulled away, she nearly blurted out that she loved him, but he asked, "Wanna get a drink?" And saved her from utter humiliation. 

He took her by the hand and they made their way to the drink table. Hannah intercepted them on the way, and she was smirking, which was a bad sign.

"You guys are so gross. You're so into each other and my goodness, the puppy dog eyes are really coming out tonight. It's really cute, but sort of disgusting to watch you. I've never seen a couple so in love. Did you ask her out yet, Cedric?"

Iris felt herself turning beet red, but she wasn't going to say anything. She was leaving this one up to Cedric.

"Can't you just leave us alone for one night, Hannah? You can tease us tomorrow, but tonight we aren't going to deal with it."

She looked up at him in confusion and saw that despite his calm tone his cheeks had a pink tinge to them. Why hadn't he denied it?

~~~

Cedric took her up to the Astronomy Tower later that night and they dangled their legs off the edge, looking up at the stars. He reached over and grabbed her hand gently and she looked up at him inquiringly. 

"I just want tonight to last forever. I don't want to think about the second task or any of it. I just want it to be this way for as long as time lasts. Just the two of us together. Iris. . ." 

He was leaning closer, and her mind couldn't process anything. Vaguely she heard footsteps on the stairs behind them, but then his lips brushed hers and she couldn't think at all.

The door burst open and they jumped apart, both blushing red in the darkness. A giggling girl and a boy who was holding her hand went and sat on the other side of the tower, but the moment was gone.

Slowly, Iris' brain started catching up. Had her best friend, Cedric Diggory, just kissed her?

She didn't know, and she was too tired to think about it so her leaned her head against his shoulder and the last thing she remembered was the tingling sensation on her lips.

~~~

Dearest Cedric,

Thank you for the beautiful night last night. I don't exactly remember how I made it into bed so thank you for that too. I had such a good time dancing the night away with you, even if Hannah and Justin are going to tease us for weeks.

Please don't forget the time we had together up there on the Astronomy Tower. Don't forget how you held my hand and wanted it to last forever.

Love,

Your 'Ris

P.S. Kiss me again if you meant it.