My Eyes Adored You

James and Lily excused themselves for an afternoon stroll while Sirius sat quietly at the table half turned in his chair as he pretended to read the morning edition of the Daily Prophet. "What are they saying, Padfoot," Remus asked.

"Nothing much. They're both apologizing to one another over and over."

Both Liesel and Remus nodded.

"I have to be getting back soon. Rommy will be needing a walk and then some lunch."

"Oh yeah, while I'm thinking about it..."

She looked into his eyes. "Yeah?"

"Your dog, Romulus?"

"What about him?"

"He looks to be quite old."

She nodded. "Yeah, he's about ten or so I think, why?"

"Why's he called Romulus?"

"Because I missed my best friend," she said. "And I couldn't very well name him Remus, now could I? Do you know the confusion that would cause!"

Remus smiled as he looked into his lap. Finally he nodded and looked up into her eyes. "Well, if it's any consolation, I missed you as well. Terribly."

Sirius smiled secretively, listening in and pretending not to.

"Last year when we were celebrating Sirius' birthday, I had spent what last bit of money I had and had this little tiny little cake made..." He gestured with his cupped and rounded hands.

"Angelfood cake or chocolate?"

"Angelfood."

"Strawberries and cream?"

"Naturally," he replied with a smile. "I took one of the candles from Sirius' cake and placed it on that little cake as stood in the window, looking at the moon that was nearly full..."

Sirius listened in and he felt unusually guilty as Remus told his oldest and best friend in the world that he had often thought of her, wondering how she was, where she was, if she was happy...Sirius closed his eyes and lowered his head, realizing that his chosen brother loved this girl and had for his entire life. This girl brought out the best in him...and made him put his foot down, which he'd never seen Remus do ever. She helped to make him strong and he couldn't help but wonder what hidden traits she would bring out in himself? He hoped for only the best...

He felt that he was faced with a dilemma.

"Then the next afternoon, Dad made a special trip to come out to see me and told me what had happened to your Mum. Of course I didn't really remember her, but I remembered the idea of her, if that makes sense."

Liesel nodded.

"I had to wonder what happened exactly. What did happen Bobbie?"

Liesel sat quietly for a long time as the memory of finding a she-wolf convulsing on her bed was still fresh in her mind. She swallowed hard.

"I'm sorry, Bobbie. Never mind." Remus said. "Why do you call me Mister Prefect? I knew that you knew who I was, you know."

She nodded as she smiled. "Yeah, I knew," she said as tears brimmed in her eyes.

"So, how about it? Tell me?"

"I saw how rough you looked, how tired, but your eyes lit up in the Headmaster's office...I think he did that on purpose, sent for you, I mean. I would have thought that he would have sent for a Puffin' Prefect, but no, he sent for you and Lily. I thought I was gonna die right then and there, Remmy! I swear! It was all I could do not to bowl you over with a big, ol' huggle!"