It's in His Kiss

Sirius walked with Liesel hand in hand up the path toward Hogwarts in silence. Suddenly and without warning, she stopped in her tracks.

"I need to confess a sin of omission."

"Not necessary," he replied quietly and he stopped and pulled her along.

"Aren't you just the least bit curious?"

He smiled. "Of course I am. But I figure that it'll come out eventually anyway. No need to rush it."

"There's a reason why my mom was a great cook. I am too."

"Oh good," he said grinning as he felt the wind on his face, blowing back his thick hair. "It's good to know that I won't starve to death."

She looked up into his eyes and shook her head. "Nope, not with me around."

He watched the wind blow her long hair around like a tempest and he stopped to face her and lowered his face to hers and kissed her for at least a minute. Sirius felt that if they didn't have to tend to the dog, he could stand there in a perpetual lip-lock with her all day. She felt almost weightless pressed against his body; the way he held on to her made her feel safe...and loved. She wondered if he could feel her heart beating like she could his, then she realized that she was under a woolen sweater and a leather jacket; he was under a cotton uniform and possibly a tee-shirt and thought he must be freezing. She smiled through their kiss.

"What are you smiling about?"

"I was just wondering if you were cold?"

He grinned and licked his lips and stared into her eyes. "Oh hell no," he replied quietly.

He heard footsteps nearby and then someone chuckling. "Get a room you two," James said.

"Have one, thanks," Sirius replied jovially.

"Not if I get there first," James said, as he held out his broom, challenging him to a race.

"Oh yeah?"

James nodded. "Yeah!"

"Fine! First one there, gets it!"

"You're on!"

The boys mounted their brooms and were off toward the castle in the blink of an eye as Liesel raised her brow and rolled her tongue over her lips. "So much for company while I walk Rommy." She looked toward the castle and the two burgundy shapes flying toward it, each trying to knock the other off his broomstick with their elaborate aerial acrobatics.

"Not to worry, I'll go with you," Lily said, sighing as she held several bags and parcels in her hands. "Boys!"

"I know," Liesel grumbled. "Come on, I'll help you get settled first. He's waited this long. I swear, that poor dog is a Saint! Where do you think they are at this point?"

"Probably either on the staircase, pushing and pulling each other back down and..."

"Getting nowhere fast?"

"Exactly."

When the girls entered the Gryffindor Common Room, both boys were sitting on the sofa before the fireplace, with scowls on their faces.

"Alright, so which of you toerags won?"

"Pettigrew," they both grumbled simultaneously.

"Peter!"

"Yeah, I know! Apparently, he grew a pair over the summer," James said.

Sirius shook his head and shrugged his broad shoulders. "I suppose it had to happen eventually?"