Chapter 21: The Guardian

Chapter 21
The Guardian

As the night goes by, the Elders start to leave except Chanteloup, the leader of the Elders. He gestures for the Great Alpha and Kieran to stay, as well as Dave and I. Marcus, who I've just seen, makes a step forward as the Elder leader calls him, motioning forward for him to come join us.

Marcus, who has just standing at the back of the room, walks to us and he's wearing his usual lopsided grin. He's wearing a plain grey shirt, and a pair of jeans to match his top and a black Vans. He's looking like a 16 year old boy who's turning 17. As he stands beside Dave, Marcus winks at Kieran and Cloud glares at him, earning Cloud an eye roll from Marcus.

"Hey, peeps." Marcus grins at us. Chanteloup and Marcus high-five each other, the slapping of their hands makes a sound across the Elder's Court. They high-five like they haven't seen each other since decades. "Welcome to the pack, Dave." He smiles brightly at my mate, which makes me a bit possessive. I suddenly want to wrap my arms tight around Dave. Instead, I give Marcus a death glare. Nobody notices. Zane growls.

Cloud steps up, interrupting Marcus from speaking again. "May I know the reason why there's an extended meeting, Chanteloup?" Kieran grows worried as he sets his eyes at the leader of the Elders. The leader of the Elders focuses his eyes at my mate, who shrinks in fear as he looks down on the ground. My mate looks tired, looking like he just wants to get out of the room and prepares himself for a good night sleep. "Is this an urgent meeting?"

Chanteloup walks slowly, his boots thudding on the ground as he takes each step around Dave. "It is," he simply says as a smile graces his lips. You could tell that he's bringing a good news based from the smile he's putting on his face. Cloud notices. "You keep surprising me, Dave. You're such a precious human who happens to have a wolf. We all know that this is the first time this has happened, and it's good. But there's another one."

Gulping, I look at the leader of the Elders in anticipation. Dave moves a bit closer to me, the skin of his arm barely grazes my skin, which sends shiver down my spine. My heart flutters at the mere action of him. Dave scoots closer, basically hiding behind my back and I suppress a chuckle but instead display a smile. Zane howls in happiness. I can feel Dave's ragged breathing behind my back, and I can practically the pounding of his heart in his chest.

"Good Goddess, Marcus, can you feel the presence?" Chanteloup as Marcus, who just arches a brow, shaking his head. Marcus doesn't have any idea on what Chanteloup is pointing. He's a bit dumb. I'm a bit dumb. "For a Guardian, you sure are clueless. Tell me, wolf in Dave's body, what exactly are you? You're not just a normal wolf. You had a role before. Mind telling us?"

Dave stands perfectly still, and when I take a look at him over my shoulder, his eyes are becoming royal blue, just like the wolf's eyes of Marcus. For a moment, silence greets us as Dave, or rather Peitho, makes an appearance, stepping outside my shadow and he stares directly at the leader of the Elders, who's smiling widely at him.

My best friend Cloud looks at Peitho, and he has this unknown look on his face. Kieran's face is etched with confusion as he looks back and forth between his brother and the leader of the Elders. Marcus gasps, eyes widening as he takes a step backward. Now I'm sure that he looks like one of the girls trapped into a haunted house and she has just seen the murderer in her very own eyes.

"You're... me." Marcus whispers as he stares wide eye at Peitho. His words don't make sense to me.  I narrow my eyes at him, looking between Marcus and Peitho. All of us are wearing the same expression - confused. "I mean, you're not me but you're like me. Wow. This can't be possible. This can't be."

That's when Kieran decides to butt in, walking towards Peitho who shrinks in fear as if Kieran is going to hurt him. Peitho practically runs behind my back, hiding himself again. It's heart warming to know that the person you love is actually trusting you, but at the same time, I'm hurt that he thinks the people around us are going to hurt him. They are not going to do that. Peitho needs to see that. Kieran will do anything but hurt him. I'm sure that he'd die first before he lets something hurt his brother. Kieran just merely gives a glance at Peitho but still moves forward. He understands that Peitho trusting them is still in progress. "What's happening, Marcus? Chanteloup?" His voice is on edge, as if he's scared to know the truth.

I'm clueless.

The leader of the Elders look at Kieran with amusement in his eyes, his lips quirking into a small smile. "We have two Guardians of the Werewolves here."

That's when it all clicks into my head. Royal blue eyes. The aura that Peitho is radiating. Peitho was - is - a Guardian of the Werewolves, just like Marcus himself. I turn around, looking at Peitho with happiness. He fumbles, his eyes flashing royal blue as he looks down. I lift his chin up and make him stare at me, and he has this scared look swimming in his eyes. I just want to wipe the fear away and hug the worries away out of him. I break into a huge smile, which earns me a small smile from him. Instantly I hug him, my hands reaching for him and he complies, burying his face in the crook of my neck.

"My mate." Zane speaks out louder than intended and Peitho freezes at the statement. His body tenses against my touch and my heart beats erratically, and it's not in a good way. My arms around him begin to loose, and I feel my heart sinks into a void as a sad smile crosses my lips. He needs to adjust, I tell myself. Peitho has a different plan. As my arms slip away, Peitho pushes himself forward and tightens his arms around me, and his tensed figure becomes relaxed as he buries his face in the crook of my neck.

Peitho murmurs. "Stay." I gladly do so. As they eye us, I shoot them a look that tells them leave the room without us. Even the Great Alpha himself. They all file out of the room, leaving my mate and I alone. The hugging lasts for a few minutes before he untangles his arms around my waist. He looks up at me, his eyes still flashing those beautiful royal blue color. Zane wants to mark him so badly. I want to mark him so badly. "I never told you because I didn't trust you. I only told Dave. It's because he's already my human form, and somehow we need to trust each other. But I'm saying this to your right now because I don't want you to think I'm hiding secrets... I'm not. I was a Guardian of the Werewolves, Perry. I was."

"You are," I correct him, holding his hand out. Chuckling, I shake my head as I stare at our clasped hands. "Does Dave feel weird about us being close?"

"No, I think he's pretty jealous but at the same time happy. He doesn't admit it."

"You're my mate, Peitho. Both you and Dave."

"He's hearing you right now,"

"I don't care. I want you guys to know that."

His eyes flash normal, indicating that Peitho let Dave take over the human body. Dave stares at me with a blank emotions and doesn't speak at all. Instead, he just looks at me with those soul-captivating eyes that holds me in one place, that makes my heart shatter in excitement. Dave, my mate, is my home and I would do anything for him. I gulp, heart racing.

Dave's lips are in a thin line, and his face doesn't give me any hint at what he's feeling and it's killing me slowly and painfully. For a moment, I think of crying and begging in front of him just for him to tell me what's wrong and what's the matter. I would do that without giving it a second thought.

Remembering the time that Dave was on the bed, basically dying as the heart monitor beeped loudly, echoing inside the room. Every echo made my heart clenched. The thought of him dying was there at the back of my head. I panicked and cried when I cradled him into my arms after a rogue attacked him. It made my world crumble.

Taking a step forward, Dave puts a hand on my arm and my breath hitches, body becoming rigid as Dave's lips curl into a smile slowly.

"I think it's good having a mate." My mate says.