Call me John

Hollys POV

College starts in approximately a week but they started to allow us into campus. I had just settled into my room and rolled my suitcase under the bed. I promised myself to remember to unpack it. My roommate had not yet gotten here so I was planning on going to on a job like interview. I wanted to start writing, and mostly about my life. I thought this would be something worth my life and maybe I could inspire or help other people going through depression. So today I was going to see somebody who could help me publish a book that I'd only just started writing.

       I hummed a soft tone as I curled my short hair. I wanted to look nice so I applied the slightest bit more makeup then I would ever wear. Including this eyeliner, mascara, blush, and then sunglasses for the hot day. They were rather darkly tinted but that was alright with me. I slide into a black dress with three quarter sleeves and flowed out from my waist and ended at mid thigh. I slide into a few inch heels and look at myself in the mirror.

      "Perfect." I smile and head out of campus. The building I was going to was right outside of campus and across the street. I waited at the cross walk for about two minutes until the button finally gave way and I crossed the road safely. There was a cute café right beside of the small building I saw on y phones GPS. I waited outside the door for a moment before I pushed open the door and talked to the front lady.

       "Who are you here to see?" She asks. I'd made an appointment earlier with Mr. Lutz (random fact he's my dentist😜)

       "I made an appointment earlier today with Mr. Lutz." I say awkwardly and straighten my dress and take my glasses off putting them in my purse.

        "Thorn?" She asks and I nod. "Third door on the right Ms. Thorn." The women says as she points to a hallway right beside of her desk.

       "Thank you." I smile and go to the door she instructed me to do so. A man around the age of forty sits at a desk with an annoyed expression on his face.

       "Ms. Thorn I presume?" He says.

       "Yes sir." I nod and sit in front of his desk.

      "You can call me John." He says in a strained tone.

      "Okay John." I smile and welcome the comfortable feeling he gave me.

       "Okay explain your book to me." He says and turns his full attention to me.

       "I have exactly wrote it yet-" I start and grimace waiting for a reply.

       "What?" He doesn't seem mad just shocked.

        "I promise it will be worth it though." I say.

       "I have people who have finished eighth chapter books come to me and you haven't even started?" He asks.

       "I've got the prologue?" I say trying to make light of the mood.

       "I'm sorry Mrs. Thorn but-"

       "Please just listen. It's a book about my life and you can't write something better than you can with person experience." I say.

       "Fine. Two minutes." He sets his timer by the end of his desk and with every tick my brain jolts at me to start. So I do as it tells me. I repeat the story of my life. Every detail. Everything that has went wrong and everything that went right.

       "And what would be your solid ending?" He asks me.

      "I'm not finished." I smile weakly still emotional from repeating the horror story I can call my life. "I still have time to go and maybe it will get better." I shrug.

       "I think you've gotten it Mrs. Thorn." John tells me. "Write a book. Bring it to me and I will publish it. Make you a star." He says sitting back relieved in his chair like he'd finally found the missing puzzle piece. I smile gratefully.

      "Thank you John!" I say as he releases me and I leave.

        "Anytime Mrs. Thorn." He smiles at me and I leave. Shutting the door and walking outside. Everything around me seems more vibrant and exciting. I decided to reward myself with a coffee so I order.

       "One coffee please." I smile.

      "Here you are." An old women hands me a light pink disposable cup that matched the pink on the walls.

      "Thank you." I walk outside where the warm breeze seems to cover my face like a heated blanket. I see all of the seats are full except one. I make my way through the people and almost sit at it when somebody else is extremely close to it.

      "I'm sorry you can sit there." He says backing up.

      "No, if you don't have anyone to meet than we can both just sit here. I have to be on my way soon." I say.

      "Whatever you say." He holds up his hands in defense. He has glasses that are deeply tinted just like the ones I have covering my eyes. My attention is drawn to everything else about him. His black shirt and khakis seem to be something I could picture Zach in. His hair was close to the same colour, just darker but still a dirty blond. He looked so much like Zach I could almost kiss him.

      "Do you live here?" I ask.

      "No- well- kind of. College. And My girlfriend is going to college up here. She doesn't know I'm coming but I got a friend of hers to tell me where she was going." He laughs nervously.

     "Me too. I mean the college part." I stutter.

      "You remind me of her actually. Except she's been going through chemo- unless she's gotten over it. Which would be amazing. I wouldn't know though. We haven't seen each other in more than a year." He grimaces. I've been through chemo. He was so much like Zach it almost hurt.

       "I wish that was me." I laugh. "My boyfriend died less than a year ago in a train accident. He was coming to see me. And he got hit by a train." I grimace too.

        "Look this may sound crazy like I'd read your ID or something but are you Holly Thorn? Born November 23?"