Chapter 16: Final choice

Iroh's P.O.V

"You did what?"
"I told her that you like her."
I mentally slapped myself. That's why I never told Katara anything about my life. Because she couldn't keep our conversations for herself.
"And what did she say?"
"She laughed."
Great. I bet Saira thought it was a joke.
"And she likes you too, Iroh."
I looked at the old lady and sighed:"Katara...you shouldn't have told her. I wanted to tell her by myself when the time is right. I want to tell her everything but she isn't ready yet. I'm afraid she might never talk to me again. I don't want to destroy all this. Saira ische first girl, that actually treats me like a normal person...did you also mention who I really am?"
"No, I didn't, honey. she doesn't have a clue."
"What don't I have a clue about?"
We turned around to see a pale Saira, holding her waist.
"That you are getting better, honey. Although your organs didn't look good, they'll recover slowly.", Katara lied.
"I know that, Katara. You're the best healer in world, I have great faith in you."
"Did you learn healing from Katara?", I asked.
Saira shook her head:"No, I didn't. I learned it from a clan. But I'm not allowed to talk about them. I would've loved if Katara taught me healing, but she isn't a firebender."
"You're aware that some moves are from waterbending?", I asked.
"I'm very well aware of that. But I was talking about healing. And by the way, General Iroh the First invented waterbending moves in firebending.", she smiled,"What are we going to do now, Lieutenant?"
"I'm surprised you didn't suggest any of your ideas.", I said ironically. Saira rolled her eyes and Katara started to giggle. Saira and I watched the old lady giggling, smiling warmly at each other.
"We're heading back to Ahana to announce their independence, if you don't have anything against it, Lady Navigator." Saira shook her head:"I never have anything against your orders, Lieutenant-"
"Oh I've forgotten to give you something, honey! It's from the Fire Nation representative. Tenzin asked me to give it to you.", Katara gave Saira a letter. Her eyes widened while reading it:"That's earlier than I thought."
"What is it?"
"Remember when I told you that I want to become a council?"
I nodded.
"Well Lady Fire Nation Representative has written that I'm getting the position in two years."
"Congratulations", I faked a smile,"But why did you join the UF? Shouldn't you work for Lady Nation Representative?"
I was happy for Saira but I didn't want her to leave the United Forces.
"Because, I already told you that, I love military, and I wanted to get to know the United Forces. It isn't very clever to be a council and not being aware what the United Forces do or want.", she explained.
I just loved this girl.
Katara noticed the look in my eyes and grinned.
"What is so funny?", Saira asked.
"We're just happy that you got the job, honey", Katara explained. I didn't know that she was such a good liar.

"Oi! We're here!", Haku yelled. We docked the ships and Katara, Saira, Haku and I got off.
We walked to the head quarters of Ahana Island and announced the happy news. Tadashi's eyes widened and then he yelled:"We are free! We won!"
After we took part of the celebrations for a fee hours, I called my small group.
"We have to go now.", I told them. Everyone nodded except Saira. Why didn't I see that coming? Everything she had something to say.
"We can't just leave."
"Why not, Lady Navigator?", I groaned.
"Because we have to help them!"
"We did. We captured the rogues and Ahana got its independence."
"We are not finished. The people here need help. We have to help them building up their island."
"We have orders to follow, Saira. And that's not one of them."
"These people are just orders to you? Are you being serious? Or are you kidding me? We could've let them get killed by IAZO and Unalaq because they will freeze to death without any accommodation, Li!"
Not again...

Saira's P.O.V

Has he been serious? Did he really want these people die because of the temperatures? I couldn't believe that they were just a mission to him.
"They have to handle this alone.", he said with his calm voice.
"I will not let them freeze to death! I will do anything that's in my power to help them! We can't leave them lime that!"
"I won't let my crew get into any trouble because of you, Saira!
"Fine. I'm going to stay.", I yelled. I got my voice back yesterday and took the opportunity to raise it. Li looked not very amused at me:"You also have to follow orders, Saira. If you don't do as I say, you will be dismissed."
My heart just stopped beating. Li had me under his control with this bloody sentence. I didn't know what to do. Should I let thousands of people die or should I loose my job?
Then again I heard the little girl's voice echoing in head. Her right eye closed and her skin burned and full of blood.

"It's your fault Saira. Why didn't you save us? You let us die!"

I shuddered and my breath fastened. Then I looked over to Li. He was walking away, thinking I gave up. I looked down at my shaking hands. I was looking for answers but I couldn't find them. And I knew that I was desperate at the moment. Not being sure if I made the right decision, I looked up and saw Li waiting for me. His golden eyes drilling in mine. Coldness climbed up my body. I was freezing. Maybe these people were freezing like me. Little children. But I was lucky. I was a firebender. They weren't unfortunately. And with that my choice was final.

I let out a shaky breath:"They can't dismiss me. I'm leaving."