Chapter 20: Hanging out with the Asguardian

***I don't own any of the MCU characters***

(Alexis P.O.V)

I gasp and whirl around in panic. Sitting in the armchair in the corner of the room, staring at me with cold, calculating eyes, was Loki.

His sleek, black hair framed his sharp, angular face making a frightening picture as I stare up at him. My immediate instinct is to run, but something in me freezes. I remember what Tony told me. "Maybe he needs someone to be a friend."

His voice invades my ears again, "I will ask again. What are you doing in here, child?"

Holding up my book, I whisper, "Reading."

I catch the surprise in his eyes before the coldness sets in again.

"Why would you want to read? Don't you have all the other gadgets like other little Midgardians around this earth?"

I shake my head and look down at my book. Tracing the letters of the title. "I have never had a gadget like the ones the other children have," I sigh," Even if I did I would still come into here to get a real book. One where you can feel the pages on your fingers and have a whole world in your grasp. Into the one room where you have all the friends in the world, who don't judge you by what you have done," Looking back up at Loki, I whisper," I would come here every chance I could as a refuge."

His gaze never wavers from me as I speak. I see the understanding in his eyes as well as the sadness rising.

"You have an understanding that I didn't know children your age could have," He replies, as he places down the book he held in his hands onto the table beside his chair.

"When you live in the environment I have, you learn to be understanding to those around yourself. What happened to me, could be happening to anyone else without anyone else knowing," I shrug.

He stands up slowly and walks over to me. His towering figure holds an intimidating figure causing me resist the urge to run once again.

"You need not fear me, Aithne," he says softly as he crouches in front of me.

"All I have known is fear for the last 3 years," I whisper, " so how can I not fear the man who tried to take over the world."

"Because despite what others may think, I am trying to change," he said as he stood up suddenly, towering over me, before turning an walking a few paces away.

I flinch and step back, I can feel the panic trying to overwhelm me, but I attempt to force it back. I said I would try and I will, I remind myself.

"Maybe stop being so scary would help," I suggest in a quiet voice, making him whirl around again, his coat billowing behind him.

"And how do you propose I do that? I can't stop being who I am," He sneered," I don't even know why I am talking to you about it in the first place."

"Maybe because you need someone who doesn't know you and who has a new perspective on things," I suggest, watching him closely. He sighs before looking at me.

"If you were to help me, what would you do?"

"Be your friend," I smile slightly.

"I don't have friends, nor do I need them," he sneers again, but I saw the flash of hope in his eyes.

"That sounds awfully lonely. I don't like being lonely," I say, walking over to the couch and sitting down.

"What would you know about it? I bet you have always had friends," he retorts as he watches me.