Chapter 7

The next day Mara started chemo. It would take a few treatments before she started to feel any effects. Or at least that is what the doctor said. The nurse was putting the IV in her arm when Danny came running into the room. Mara turned and got a big smile on her face. Danny went to hug her. The nurse stopped him.

"Woah slow down, wait a just a minute"

Danny stopped. Mara giggled a little. 

The nurse finished what she was doing, Then let Danny hug Mara. Jessica, Peter and Shawn were also in the room. 

"Mom, Dad, Shawn, can you give us a moment?"

"Sure" Jessica said grabbing Peter by the arm and leaving. Shawn waited.

"I'll be right outside" said Shawn leaving, "If you don't feel okay at any point, just yell"  

"I don't even know what to say" said Danny sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Its okay I don't know either. I don't know if it has sunk in yet or not"

"My mom kind of explained it last night" 

"Its confusing, I don't even understand really. I get chemo, like right now, I know that. Also something about blood transfusions and bone marrow transfusions. They took some bone marrow last night. It was horrible. All of this is horrible and I don't understand why it was me"

"I don't know either.  But you are going to be okay right?"

Mara was silent and played with the ends of blanket.

"What?"

"They thought I was asleep last night, but I wasn't."

Mara was silent again. Danny gave her a look.

"40%"

"40% what?"

"Like 40% chance of surviving this" 

Danny turned pale.

"Just tell me its a bad dream"

Danny just hugged her again. He had tears in her eyes. Mara started to cry. Danny pulled back and put his hands on her shoulders.

"You are going to be fine. You will fight this and everything will be okay. I just know it."

"Promise?"

"Promise" 

They  hugged again. 

Later that day, Mara got surgery and had a port put in so chemo and everything was eaiser. All day long doctors came in and out of the room. Mara barely listened to any of them. She didn't want to know anything. Her mother was constantly writing in her notebook. Shawn hasn't left Mara's side either have her parents. She was sure there was some long plan in play for her. But she didn't care and didn't want to know. She just wanted to go home and pretend none of this was happening. She came out of her daze only when she heard she could go home.

"I can go home?"

"Yes" said Dr. Carter.

Mara flopped back on her back. 

"Mara you have to listen to everything the doctor has said though. Everything. Lots of rest. Eating what you are suppose to, taking the supplements, etc." said Jessica

"I know, I know"

"Mara" said Peter sternly.

"Mom and Dad give us a minute" said Shawn.

"We can go get her discharge papers together and I have all kinds of information papers for you" said Dr. Carter. They all left.

Shawn sat down on the side of the bed.

"Mara, you do know how serious this is?"

"How can I not, I'm dying"

"You are not dying Mara"

"Don't lie I know I am. I wasn't asleep last night. I heard everything everyone said. Its 40%" Mara had tears in her eyes 

"Mara that number means nothing. You are going to fight this and I will not stop fighting until you are 100% okay. None of us will" said Shawn taking her face in his hands. 

Mara went to hug him. He pulled her into a hug. He rubbed circles in her back. They just sat there for awhile like that.