Chapter Twenty-Two ~ Routines

My first weeks back at Hogwarts were surprisingly uneventful. I was sadly lacking in mysteries, other than the arising suspicion surrounding Sirius Black, a matter that did not concern me. I had only briefly spotted Leon, and he would only be found with Crookshanks and some massive dog.

Once, I called the trio over to me, but I received a highly human look from the dog, before they scampered off in to the woods. It was a strange jealousy that grew in me, as I saw my companion drift from me and in to creatures of a closer species.

Then again, he probably felt the same when I spent all of my time with Sarah and Nev... Bitter regret pulsed through me as I realised that Leon had been neglected for a long while. First, with my absence in the tunnels, and second with my recovery at Mungo's.

With Neville.

Shaking away the thought, I shifted out of Malfoy's way as I hurried along to Muggle Studies. It was well known that he had injured his arm in an idiotic attempt to better a hippogriff. The fool.

I watched him as he insulted the creature, wounding its pride openly. My own hippogriff during the lesson was upset, and it hadn't had anything to do with the matter. Yet, it was equally well known that Draco was faking it, showing his true colours.

Sometimes, I wondered about what would have happened if I had of followed Narcissa's wishes and 'pursued' Draco. I shuddered to think of a laugh with the pointed faced boy, with white-blond hair and piercing grey eyes. I much preferred Nev-...

No, I did not.

As these thoughts whirled around my mind, I felt something hard shake my body as we collided. Taking a good look in front of me, I saw a very bedraggled Hermione in a pile on the ground, having just run in to me. Strangely, she looked exhausted.

"Herm? Where'd you come from?" I laughed, helping her to her feet.

This year, she had become very stressed, which was most likely due to her timetable. She was enlisted for every subject. To make it to these classes, I could only assume that she was using a time-turner, or something of the like.

And that was risky business indeed. All the while, stress and tension had mounted as Crookshanks hunted Ron's elderly rat, Scabbers. The poor girl now spent her hours studying and completing her homework and assignments, which was no easy task.

I also enjoyed having somebody with matching intelligence. I loved Sarah, but she hadn't a clue what was happening in class, and I believed that Neville's abilities were prohibited by the use of a wand that was truly his.

Hermione and me were very easily of the same intelligence, but I had more tact than to flaunt it, as she subconsciously did. Seating myself beside her, I tried not to yawn as the Muggle Studies classes began.

This semester's topic was 'Muggle Magic' referring to their use of a thing called Electricity, which was what lightning was made out of. It was all very confusing, as we needed to such things in our households, yet I grasped it well enough.

Hermione, of course, excelled in this topic. Which wasn't really fair, considering that she was from Muggle heritage, after all. Sighing, I ignored my brooding thoughts and tried to follow as we explored Light Bulbs. Drawling down the teacher’s sketches, I gazed out of the window.

There they were again, Crookshanks, Leon and that dog. Every time I saw it, I mistook it for a wolf, due to it's size. It's eyes met mine, giving me the impression of its human personality, before I looked away and copied Hermione's notes quickly.

Next up, was Defence Against the Dark Arts. I had heard whispers of Lupin's plans for a Boggart in class, but I couldn't wait to see it for real. Squirming in my seat, I waited for the class to end. But then... I still had lunch to go until I reached Lupin's class.