Chap 19

~Lakota~

I watched as Levi was thrown back with the force of the blow to his chest I was stunned. Quick on my feet I charged at the coward and went straight for the kill shot; the throat and ripped it out viciously. He hurt my Pack Alpha’s mate. I ran back towards Levi whining, my ears pinned back in sorrow before lifting my head to howl a mournful tone.

What was happening? Why were the only people who I cared about or referred to as my pack drifting from me! I licked at Levi’s cheek as he gasped for breath. His brown eyes slowly shifted towards mine and held them for only a moment before closing.

No! No! No!

Both of Kyle and Levi lay motionless next to each other and I felt the pain of loss coming too close. The fast stomp of footsteps had me whirling around with my teeth bared ready to protect them with my life. When the man we traveled with ran up to us I quieted down quickly as he went to check them. I paced behind him watching his every move and also the demon woman in leather.

“We have to get him to the compound healer fast.” The man said lifting Levi in his arms and turned towards the woman who donned on her gloves with leisurely grace.

“What do I care?” she shrugged still standing a good distance away. The man growled and the woman suddenly screamed dropping to her knees her hand clutching her head in pain.

“Fine!” she shouted growling in pain and it caused a shiver of terror to run down my spine to my tail. The hackles of my fur were raised as she recovered and came to stand next to Kyle. Her kind would never touch him again and I charged at her my canines bared as I growled dangerously low. I made a stance over Kyle’s body and lowered my head in a defensive manner, ears perched low in my head in warning.

She backed away warily, her black eyes never leaving mine as I warned her off my Pack Alpha.

“Whoa what’s up with him?” she questioned and I huffed.

“He doesn’t trust you and for good reason Nadia.” He looked impatiently at me.

“Pup I need you to back down or your friend is going to die.” It was a simple statement and I struggled with the decision to let the woman’s filthy hands touch my Pack Alpha or risk the chance of letting his mate die. It only took me a moment, he would never recover if I let Levi die so I reluctantly backed away and watched her lift him.

****

Levi’s wheezing was getting worse and I whimpered as I ran beside them.   

‘Hold on Levi, just hold on!’

A few minutes of running felt like an eternity as we reached a large fenced off land and a house in the distance. We were suddenly surrounded by wolves as they rushed us.

“Let us in, we need a healer; the boy doesn’t have much longer.” The man holding Levi demanded with such a dominant tone the other wolves bowed and let him pass through the gates. The moment we stepped on the wolves’ territory the woman dropped Kyle unceremoniously to the ground and turned to flee. She was so fast I barely caught her movements as she flew past us all back in the woods. The man holding Levi turned just as she disappeared and cursed. Whining I trotted over to Kyle’s body and nudged him to wake.

“Someone pick him up and show him to a room while I take this one to the infirmary.” He rushed off but not before yelling back at the rest of the wolves.

“And get her!”

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>